Sunday, October 30, 2005

Back to School

And of course, there is no better time to go back to school than on a Sunday.
After 3 weeks of sleeping late, who wants to get out of bed at 7 am, especially on a Sunday?
Well I had no choice, so I left my husband still asleep, and went down to school.
The day was actually pretty great, I loved being in the front of the class again, and the the girls seemed excited to be there too.
My co had to leave halfway during the day, so we switched the schedule, and for the last 45 minutes of the day I had both classes together.
At first I was a little nervous, but we started a new, very creative writing assignment, and pretty soon, the class was so involved, I forgot I was teaching both of them together. I had no discipline problems, it felt great!
I had come in on a Friday before Yom Tov to give the girls back their history tests, but R.R. was absent that day. I gave her test back today.
I was surprised to find that she was miserable with the 80% she got.
She came over to me after class, and we had a little talk.
I told her very openly, that if I could, I would open my roll book and show her that most girls average out at an 80. I told her that even I myself wasn't a hundred student in school.
She looked skeptical, but I told her further, that had I been a hundred student in school I probably wouldn't be doing all the extra things I'm doing for her.
The reason I am doing this, is because was a student like her,and I can understand what she's feeling. I told her that it was not because she was dumb that I was doing all this for her. It was because I believed in her. If I didn't think this was going to pay off, I wouldn't bother to work hard.
I think she seemed pleased by that.
I also told her, a little strictly, that I wasn't going to be around forever to boost her confidence. I warned her that if she doesn't believe in herself, no one will.
I hope this kid gets straightened out., but honestly, I think all she wanted was just a little bit of attention.
That's not a problem, but I wish she would start looking for positive attention. What she's doing now won't get her anywhere, except for maybe on my nerves.
just a side point, I went into the principal's office for something, and I walked out of there staggering under the load of work she put on my shoulders. I was a little, ok, more than a little annoyed, but learned to say, "Yeah, yeah, yeah." and do absolutely nothing.
Yep, I'm learning the ropes in life.

No comments: