Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I Need a Vacation!

I was so tired last night after P.T.A, I barely got anything done. I marked a few tests, and then, tired to the bone, I fell into bed.
I woke up this morning in a panic. I was so pressured with a ton of things I had to do. I had to update my blog, create a new test, mark literature tests and essays, and I had to type up a sheet of review questions for my weaker students.
In addition to all that, I had to prepare for today's lesson.
I worked all morning, until I looked at my watch at 11:30 and realized that if I didn't get dressed soon, I would be late for school.
I felt weak and sick all day, and I was terrified of not being able to handle the full day.
Somehow I did it.
Not only did I do it, I managed under extreme circumstances.
5 minutes into my lesson, the principal came into my class. She went through every girl's looseleaf, and looked at all their notes. She even corrected spelling errors!
The girls were horrified, and to tell you the truth, so was I. A looseleaf is a private thing. Going through a looseleaf is like going through someone's diary. I know that I wouldn't want anyone going through my stuff, and I'm a teacher with little to hide. Imagine these little teenagers!
The principal stayed in my class until recess. I believe that it's a record. I now hold the record for having been observed by a principal for more than a 20 minute sitting. More than 20 minutes was unheard of...that is, until now.
The girls were so upset, and I couldn't tell them how I felt. Instead I had to try and defend the principal. How sick.
The teachers were livid too. They were disgusted and upset about her going through looseleafs, and they were terrified of being observed for so long.
I was just glad it was over with.
By the way, I gave my literature test back without approving them first. It felt so good!
I came home at night exhausted. I was sick, and overwhelmed by all the work I still had to do. I worked so hard in the morning, but somehow I felt that I didn't get anything done.
I called my husband home from the office, because I think I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I just needed to feel that I had someone home to fall back on.
I made supper, washed dishes, did schoolwork, more schoolwork, more schoolwork, more schoolwork...
There was a Chinese auction going on for the school tonight. All the money earned would go to sponsoring trips for the classes.
The teachers were all going to go, but I was too sick and too bogged down with work to move. I wasn't going to go, but my co convinced me, and a bunch of girls asked that I come watch them perform on their index cards. After that kind of invitation, how can I refuse? I'm just crazy over my students!
I went, even though I hadn't accomplished a thing, and surprisingly, I had a nice time.
I was so proud of the students who performed, and I spent a lot of time with my co, discussing the girls and their different talents. We're planning to put up a performance later in the year, and we were discussing which student would do well where.
I came home very late, and I still had a ton of work to do. I updated my blog, but I still have a test, the review questions, the essays, and a lot of preparation to do. This job takes every ounce of strength I got.
It's almost 1 am. I have to go to bed before my husband makes me call in sick tomorrow. I think I'll backdate the date on the blog so that this entry comes out on Monday even though it's already in the wee hours of Tuesday morning.
Ahhh...the life of a teacher!

No comments: