Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The Nerve!

I was proud to give back my history tests today, as the classes had gotten a 95, and a 98 average. The girls were thrilled too, and they all looked excited as I gave them back.
Except for T.K.
I had sat with her all during lunch yesterday going over her test. I even let her take it back home so that she could do the essay.
I don't know why I gave in to her and did it with her. All she did was speak to me with an attitude, and refuse to think for herself. I practically had to force her to write the answers on the page.
Today, when I gave the tests back, she came over to me to tell me that she wasn't happy with her mark.
She had scored a 96%.
I was tempted to take her test and rip it up.
Instead, I looked at her sharply and said, "I don't believe you are in any position to complain about your mark."
She looked annoyed and went to whisper to her friends.
I don't get these girls. What do they think? That they deserve all this? In Yiddish we have an expression, "Sie kimpt sich mir." Basically, "I deserve special treatment and good things."
But this is a little too far. After I was nice to her, let her take the test home twice, put up with her attitude, and sit with her during lunch, she still has the nerve to fight over a 96? There is something so wrong with this picture.
And it's not only her.
I had been sitting in the teacher's room during lunch today with my co, and my girls did not stop banging down the door.
My co was giving a math test, and the girls had questions. My co was busy and she wasn't going out to them. Instead she sent out a message that she was not available and that the girls should stop knocking at the door.
They kept knocking anyway.
When another teacher told the girls that it was pretty disrespectful to keep knocking, they insisted on seeing my co. The other teacher said that my co was eating lunch and she should not come out.
R.H, one of the girls there at the time said, "Well she better come out, that's her job."
I was so disgusted.
My co sent a note out to R.H. saying, "Being respectful is more important than passing a math test."
The girls just laughed when they read it. I wonder if it's just in this school, or if other schools have this problem too. I don't remember students doing that in my school!
Maybe the times are changing.
Change isn't always a good thing.

No comments: