Sunday, March 12, 2006

From the Uniform of a Student

Today was the last day in school before Purim and this meant major fun. I was actually excited to go to school today. ...And it' s Sunday!
I dressed up in a uniform, wore a ponytail, and brought my 5 year old sister along to school. I even found a uniform to fit her.
The students went wild. They were so excited with my sister, and of course with how I looked dressed up.
Usually, there's so much going on the day before Purim, that no classes end up learning much. I really didn't mind a day off from teaching, but we had the matter of collating the newspaper to attend to.
I had all the newspaper girls come to the copy room to help collate. It took until recess. We were cramped from working on the floor and black from all the newspaper ink.
The rest of the grade went down to the carnival that the 6th grade was taking care of while we continued working. The girls took my sister down as well. She was having a great time.
We finally got all the papers done, and I sent the girls down to carnival.
When I finally got down to the carnival, the principal made a huge deal over how she didn't recognize me in uniform etc. etc. blah blah. She made my sister feel special by saying how big she looked in her uniform jumper, blah blah.
I was starving, so I grabbed some ice cream without checking to see if it had milk in it.
Of course, it did have milk, and I had to escape from the carnival for a couple of minutes to be sick.
Coming back down, I was pushed into the bird show, where they hired a man to come down and perform with his parrots.
It was nice, but then my co and I were called up to the front to act as perches for the birds. I had 5 birds on my arms and 2 on the sides of my glasses (which soon hopped onto my head).
What a wonderful day!
After the show we had a balloon dance; teachers against students. It was hysterical. My co was a bigger child than any of the kids there. She was skipping away like a preschooler.
Anyway, we got some order later, enough to get everyone into one classroom where I read a poem about the Purim story.
I knew that one class had planned to do some shtick. C.O. had gone over to my mother's house to get some pictures of me as a child and they were going to surprise me with it.
The reason I knew was because my 9 year old sister cannot keep a secret.
But the students didn't tell me anything in school. They just pretended that they hadn't planned anything. I made no mention of it either.
Apparently, my sister went and told C.O. that she told me. C.O. was devastated. I have to have a talk with this sister. I'm pretty upset at her.
I gave the girls my parents' address so that on Purim they could come over and give me mishloach manos.
The principal came into my classroom to praise me for getting the paper done.
She's so slow. It's not like I doubted my abilities to have a paper done in a week. I just didn't want to do it under her pressure.
I had to get home quickly because I had a friend's bridal shower that I had to get to, and because the ice cream I'd had was really killing me.
Nice end to a short day.

No comments: