Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Cheating?

I had spelling homeworks on my desk when I walked into class. Before I even began teaching, I looked them over. The girls had all given me their looseleaf papers with the first 10 words of the lesson and their definitions.
C.O.'s paper was photocopied. It was not in her handwriting. She had white-outed S.G.L's name and put her name on top. I picked it up, made a face, and told her that I was not accepting it. It bothered me to no end.
How much of an idiot did she think I was? I folded the paper and went to show it to the principal when the class was at computers.
Problem was, the principal was viewing a model lesson being given by a girl I knew. She was busy all recess and then I had to go to my other class and start them off in computers.
In my other class I had another spelling copycat. G.S. had taken H.W.'s already checked paper and had torn off the top of it. She tore off H.W.'s name and the red check I had made on top. Then she scrawled her name on the bottom.
Without saying anything, I took that to the principal too.
I waited outside her office for close to a half hour, listening as she sided with a crazy parent against a teacher. Finally she was ready for me, and I showed her the two papers. She was upset, but she said that she would leave the punishment up to me. I told her I was fresh out of idea.
I had sent C.O. out and it didn't seem to bother her, and we both knew that G.S. wasn't affected by much. I told her that I wanted to fail them both this lesson in spelling. She didn't seem that happy with the idea.
She did say that she would speak to them and that we'd think of something to do.
As I was walking out, I asked her again about the high school trip and she began giving me excuses. I told her that in truth I'd only be missing Monday and that was a day where my classes had scrapbooking. So it really meant teaching 45 minutes in each class. I suggested she take two model lessons for those slots and then she wouldn't even have to pay a substitute.
She said that most likely she'd let me go, but she had to work things out.
I think she thinks she made my day.
I met a girl in the hall preparing to give a model lesson. I happened to know her and when she asked me about the school I was very honest with her and told her to run as far away as she could. She looked terrified, but hey, I think this is my divine duty. I need to protect innocent young seminary girls from falling into this mudhole.
I think you can tell I like writing.
Anyway, I just got a call from a girl who'll be giving a model lesson on Monday. I guess the principal is taking my advice.
So now that it seems likely that I'll be going on this overnight, I think I have permission to start panicking about the workshop they want me to give!!

No comments: