Sunday, September 11, 2005

New Week, New Discoveries

I've already made the decision that for as long as this school year continues, Sunday will be considered the worst day of my week.
I had to be in school form 9-12:15, so that already killed if not my day, my beauty sleep.
I didn't sleep well the entire night, just dreading the school day ahead.
I was already up and waiting for my alarm clock to ring at 7 am, and as soon as it did, I got out of bed and took my time getting dressed.
I walked the block to school really slowly, one of my students was walking in front of me and I just didn't want to have to greet her this early in the morning.
I have no idea how I made it through the day.
It was September 11th, so we spent some time on talking about what had happened, and one class went on and on telling me all the stories they knew about the twin towers and people they knew who had worked there. The other class, (the dentist one,) really drove me up the wall. I didn't even think it was possible foe a class of 16 girls to just sit, unmoving, uninterested in anything interesting I had to say. I was astounded. They sat in their seats and looked just as bored as they did when we learned history. It's totally beyond me.
I kind of get frustrated in the class because I have no idea if they even understand what I'm saying. I see that I'm getting way ahead in this class than in my other one, and that's because they don't participate, they just sit quietly and wait for me to spoon feed them. So I spent a while just talking about September 11, and then I figured that if they didn't seem interested, I'd just go on to something else, so I did some history.
I also introduced writing, and I was doing a fantastic writing project with the girls. I wanted them to write a letter to themselves. They were going to get them back in 6 years, at their high school graduation.
This project was always my favorite project in school, but when I told the girls to take out their writing folders, they all groaned.
This school is extremely into their writing program. They have writing three times a week for 45 minutes a day. The students that are born writers absolutely love the time they're given to express themselves. The problem arises with the girls who are lacking the talent.
The girls who aren't writers will never be writers, and giving them writing 3 times a week will only make them frustrated, it won't help them at all. I wish I had a say in the matter, but I don't make up the schedule, the school does.
So they spent time writing. I was a little confused as to how a writing class was supposed to work, but I basically, explained the writings to the girls in detail, gave them some ideas and told them to write. You have no idea what I went through then.
The girls were so confused, they almost cried. They kept complaining they had nothing to write and they wanted me to help them, which basically meant that they wanted me to write the compositions for them.
Wait, they didn't want me to write them, they expected it.
I was completely and utterly confused, and I really was relieved when the bell rang to end the day.
I reminded the classes to study two lessons back in history, and to bring a journal, and index cards for Monday.
The rest of the day was a pretty busy one for me, and I didn't really have time to think about school too much.
I did meet two of my students in the street that day, and they really are babies! They both laughed and blushed and waved to me like I was the most exciting thing since sliced bread.
I feel so good! Today I made two 12 year old girls feel special.
But whatever the case is, Sunday is still a bad day!

No comments: