Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Test!

Also, another strange day.
I walked right in to give my test. I gave the test to both classes at once, and the other teacher proctored the other class. We switched in the middle so that I was able to take questions form girls in both classes.
The multiple choice really threw them off, but the essay is what killed them. I had girls going crazy trying to figure out what to write, and obsessing over how much they remembered (or forgot!)
In reality, most of the information they needed for their essays were scattered throughout the test, and if the girls were bright enough, they figured it out. I think most girls got it in the end. I read some beautiful essays on their tests.
Some girls got me so nervous though. The way they made a big deal over stupid questions bothered me to no end. And the biggest joke of all is that the girls whoa asked the most questions, occupied most of my time, and threw the crying fits were the ones who got the top marks in the class. Is that ironic or just annoying and selfish? There were so many girls who actually needed the help, but those girls don't bother to ask a lot of questions. They don't obsess over that extra point. Those girls just want to pass.
I used to hate those girls who would cry every time they got a 98, and wouldn't rest until they did enough extra credit to get a 100 percent. I used to hate them, and now I teach them. Now that is ironic.
I made the girls hand in their tests when the recess bell rang, and the girls who needed more time all came into one classroom to finish up. Guess who was there? Well, M.L. for one, (she got 103% on her test) and T.K. 7a, (who got a similar mark) and E.F.G. (another 103%). F.G. was there, snd she threw such a tantrum, I was tempted to rip up her paper and send her back to kindergarten. I didn't even think a 12 year old would be capable of throwing such a fuss. She was fresh, and angry, and downright babyish. And then she went and got an 85%. What is wrong with the kids these days?
T.K. (7b) stayed after, and I helped her out a lot, I really wanted her to well, it would do a lot for her self confidence, and in the end she did beautifully, she got a 72%. I'm very proud of her.
R.R. came back form the resource room, and I gave her a special test I had prepared just for her. She also almost threw a tantrum, but she sat down and tried. She said something to the effect of "Now you'll really see how stupid I am."
I got a little upset at her. I told her, "What is it that you want me to tell you? Yes, R.R. you are stupid!? You are not stupid, and stop trying to make me think so, now sit down, and start writing!" She looked at me, shocked, and then she sat down and took that test. (She ended up getting and 80!!!)
B.E.D. also needed more time. I had heard she was not smart, but I think she just needed a lot of time. I gave her until the end of the day. she got a 96%. Proud is not the word. Even my husband was excited!
After recess both classes got together and did an arts and crafts for Succos. It worked out very nicely, and I was happy we did it.
Of course, we couldn't waste an hour and a half on just an arts and crafts, so I read the girls a nice story that took about 20 minutes. It was called an e-mail from G-D.
Boy, did I get it over my head. After class, my co told me that I'd be in huge trouble about this e-mail thing. Parents were going to call the school, and the principal would kill me.
Mind you, this is not internet, this is just e-mail! Every kid in that class knew what e-mail was, so why would the parents call up?
I was regretting the whole day.
The other teachers tried to make me feel better by telling me that since we wouldn't be having school until the end of the month because of Yom Tov, it was likely to be forgotten, and never make it to the principal. I hope so.
My husband hates this. Again, it;s the same story, this is what I have to put up with for that kind of money? Blah!

No comments: