Tuesday, November 01, 2005

It's Only Tuesday?

It seems like I've been back at school for ages, even though it's only been about a day and a half so far.
I had to go in early today because the 6th grade teacher got engaged last night, and the teachers were throwing her a party. (Now I know what our teachers did in there...they partied!)
Of course I was the first to come, and the other teachers barely made it to school before the 6th grade teacher walked into the room. But it turned out pretty well.
I went down to lunch, which in itself is a royal pain, and leaned against the wall while the girls finished lunch.
Bored, I called over S.G.L. and asked her if she had finished and brought back my test that I allowed her to take at home.
S.G.L. blushed, and didn't answer me, so I asked her again if she brought in the test. She looked down and told me quietly that her mother wanted to call the principal about the test.
My heart plummeted to my toes. The last thing I need is for the principal to go analyze my tests. She previews all my things before they get copied, and she had of course seen the history test as well, but I don't need her to go through it thoroughly now and start finding fault.
I told S.G.L. that it was fine for her mother to call the principal, but I still needed the test back, even if it wasn't filled in. I told her that yes, I would discuss it with the principal, but she should definitely bring the test papers back to me.
It turned out that her mother felt there was nothing wrong with the test, she only wanted to discuss her daughter being evaluated, but I'll still feel better once I have that test back in my locker.
As I walked into class, ready to hand out my maps quiz on the middle east, I found 11 girls crouched under my desk, scrambling to pick up a million tiny tacks that were scattered all over the floor. One of my students had opened the desk drawer to find a piece of chalk, and the entire drawer had somehow come out and spilled all its contents on to the floor.
I was impatient to start my day, so I sent the girls to their seats and had them start their quizzes. While I had 5 minutes of quiet in the classroom, I bent down, took a piece of paper, and shoveled the tacks back into the drawer. It didn't take long, but with my luck, the Principal chose to walk in at the exact moment I crawled under my desk.
Mortification is not the word. I didn't think that protecting my delicate feet from those dangerously sharp tacks should've been a problem, but apparently, in this school, it is.
The principal was upset why I was the one bending down, when the students should've been doing it out of respect for me.
I tried explaining to her that I was the one who sent them back to their desks so that they could start their quizzes, and I explained it to her again. I turned around to check on my students and I caught them all looking and listening intently, taking gin every word. Sheesh.
She finally got my point, but she didn't want me to continue picking them up in class. I hate to sound fresher than my students, but as soon as she left I bent down to finish the job. After all, my feet deserve some respect too, don't they?
While we were discussing the social classes in the ancient Aztec empire, madam principal walked in again. She interrupted the class to brief me about the writing projects she wanted me to do with them, and then she walked to the back of the class and stayed there.
Now I was pretty flustered, I tried picking up from where we left off, but the girls were suddenly very quiet, and not participating.
I somehow managed to keep up my enthusiasm, and pretended that I totally didn't mind teaching with a person breathing down my back. Eventually she walked out, presumably to bother some other unsuspecting teacher.
As soon as the door closed behind her, 16 girls breathed a very loud sigh of relief. There was a two second gap of embarrassed silence, and they all started laughing. I had to fight to keep a straight face because I was dying to laugh too. That's a great disadvantage of being a teacher, you always have to set an example.
But I'm so happy this happened today. It just goes to show that no matter what the principal brags, and besides for F.G. who would walk in a garden with her, most girls are not comfortable being observed in class. The teacher's room erupted in cheers when I told them about this incident. One point for us!
Another, pretty disturbing thing I saw today was in the other class, 7a.
We were continuing with our creative essays, and as I was going around the classroom, I noticed that B.E.D. hadn't written anything yet. I was surprised, and went over to her to try and help her, and she was barely looking at me.
I left her with some advice and went back to the rest of the class, making sure to keep an eye on her. I noticed that her hands were literally shaking for the rest of the period. She didn't write a word, but her hands shook terribly.
I don't know what her parents think they're doing, but they're really messing around with their daughter's life, and as a teacher, there's only so much I can do.

No comments: