Friday, November 25, 2005

Tests!

Yesterday and today were spent taking tests. The girls took a history test Wednesday, and a Literature test today. I also took a test. My patience was tested to the fullest.
Giving tests aren't easy. Everyone has questions, and they all need to be answered at the same time. Some girls need a ton of help, and some girls just need attention.
I was looking over some of the test scores from last test, and I figured that I have some girls who need more time. I didn't think it was fair that I got 7b first. I don't specifically mean this class, but any class. My last test was given to the entire grade at the same time, and anyone who needed more time was able to go through recess, and even a little after.
This time, I was letting one class go first which meant that only one class had the option of extra time.
I decided to take some weaker students from my second class and have them take the test with the first class because I knew they would need and appreciate the extra time.
I spoke to M.R. first. I couldn't remember if she had needed extra time last test, and she said she didn't need it and besides, she was embarrassed to go into the other class.
I had spent the entire night on the phone with S.G.L.'s mother, and I was going to give her an easier test along with the essay of the regular test. I wanted her to take it in the first class as well, but she objected. S.G.L. was terrified with the idea of being labeled "dumb." She even refused to take the easy test because she didn't want other girls to see that she was given a separate piece of paper.
I had to arrange for her to have a real test with the special test stapled on in the back. And I had to arrange to get it on her desk. I managed. (Whew!)
I did get B.E.D. to come in to the other class, and it was great for her. She needed a full 3 hours to complete the test, and she got a 97 1/2. I was proud, but she has to be taught that she has to move a little faster in her work.
I spoke to C.K. before the test to assure her that I would answer her questions, and that she shouldn't giver her test in right away, even if she got frustrated. She was so relieved.
C.K. needed extra time as did T.K. and I was proud of the marks they got.
I spent all night marking them, and then today they took their very first literature test.
I went in to the 7a class first today, to give them a chance to take the test first. I called C.K. and T.K. to take the test first and the funniest thing is, every single girl finished before the bell rang. Even B.E.D.! I was so happy!
In the middle of the test, the principal came in to give back the history tests. I mark them and she takes them and goes through them and writes comments. The kids hate it, but it's part of school rules.
So anyway, she came in, and she stopped the test to tell them that there was no such thing as handing in a sheet that wasn't written in cursive. The girls were understandably upset. Actually, so was I.
To tell the truth, I find it much easier to read print than cursive. I feel that by seventh grade, most girls develop their own handwritings, and you can't change it. They discover on their own what is the most comfortable for them, and they go their own way.
Of course I couldn't tell the students anything, but I hope they won't take her seriously. What a killjoy. :)
I like to make the kids smile when they take a test, so I gave out some twizzlers during the history test. I told them it was really helping them cheat because a certain Indian tribe used to use strings for something very important. (The Incas used to tie knots in strings to keep records called quipus.)
I was thrilled to see every girl smile and understand my joke. I gave out jawbreakers today for no reason, but the girls seemed relaxed and confident today.
I went through some test without marking them, just to see how they did. I was definitely impressed! They're first literature test and the grade average was a 95!! This is unreal!
Sometimes I wish I could take these girls home with me and keep them. I heard something a while ago from an old, experienced teacher that really rang true.
She said, "At the end of every year, when a class I've gotten to know and love leaves my class, a little piece of my heart goes with them."
I feel the same way. I barely got a chance to know these girls. It's only December, but already I know that I'll miss them terribly.

No comments: