Thursday, December 22, 2005

I Can't Believe Her!!

No, I'm not talking about the principal as you may have assumed. I'm talking about S.G.L.
I had specifically spoken to her about her chewing gum in school, and especially, in class.
I had also heard from the other teachers that this was a problem in all of their classes.
Today, I stood by the door before walking into class waiting for my students to stand quietly at their desks before starting the lesson. As I waited for the class to settle down, S.G.L walked over to her locker, took out a piece of gum, put it into her mouth, and began to chew in front of my face.
I refused to walk in while she was chewing, and I told her that I would not start class until she had spit out he gum. She looked at me and said, "So don't start class."
This is totally unexpected from her. I was shocked.
I gave her a sharp look, and told her to spit it out.
She didn't look at me.
I announced that I was going to start the lesson whether she liked it or not, but she couldn't sit there. If she refused to spit out the gum, she'd just have to explain to the principal why I sent her out of the class.
She spit out the gum,
I'm not sure how to handle her, or if I'm handling her the right way. I'm terrified of messing her up further, and I feel like it;s my responsibility, because the mother had said she liked me very much. I know she's looking for attention, but this is way to negative.
I can't give her anything but negative attention here, and that will definitely turn her off more.
I'm so stuck here.