Friday, December 02, 2005

Too Far

This week was just insane. I was so pressured. I had a ton of things to do this week, and somehow, the more I tried, the longer my list became. I felt like nothing was getting done no matter how hard I worked on accomplishing everything I needed to.
I was so looking forward to the end of the day, even before I got to school.
I got to school early though, I had to start preparing lessons again. The lessons I worked on during the summer were fast running out, and I had to prepare some more. It's tedious work, but it has to be done. I can't risk the principal coming into one of my classes and catching me unprepared.
Speaking of the principal, she was on a roll today. She called in a teacher who wears short boots and told her that she can't wear them anymore. She claimed (and I stress the word claimed,) that a mother had called the school to complain about the teachers wearing booties, and now the principal decided that booties are against the rules.
This other teacher wasn't wearing booties today, but I was. I had a strong feeling that I was going to get a talking to too.
I wasn't wrong. I was heading to my class after recess, when I was stopped by my chief of staff.
She called me over nicely, but by this time, even her nice voice makes my skin crawl, so no points on that end. She told me that she preferred that I didn't wear these boots anymore. She made sure to assure me that she had spoken to the other teacher who also wore booties, and that it wasn't only me. I had a hard time believing that, but whatever.
I got a little angry, and I had the guts to say so.
"Mrs. ______," I said firmly, "I wasn't you to know that I'm not happy. I'm already making a lot of changes fort his school, and I don't like being taken advantage of. If these boots weren't against the rules last week, or the week before, I don't' feel that I have to stop wearing my winter clothing just because you're trying to please a mother who called up. You can't please everyone all the time, I don't feel one mother is worth driving myself crazy for."
I think that over this week the principal has begun to learn that I have a mouth. I also have a head that can think for itself, and I have common sense as well. I don't know how her mind works, but I really don't care. I need her to stop messing with my life.
The principal quickly changed her mind, let me wear my boots, and told me that she was just giving me a head's up, and if anything came up she would let me know.
I'm fuming. I think she's pushing me too far.
7a was fun today. We had 5 kids absent, so out of 16 girls we had 11. This classroom is the one they use for hebrew where they're 32 kids together, so basically, we were 11 girls in a classroom with 32 desks.
I had everyone move up to the first two rows, and I moved my chair inthe front of my desk. We experimented with story hour. This is how we learned, and it was pretty nice! I wouldn't do it all the time, but it was worth it this time.
Twelfth grade was pretty fun, thankfully, it was over quickly.
I cannot tell you what a relief it was to come home and just stretch out on my bed.
Finally! The weekend!

No comments: