Thursday, January 12, 2006

Big Day

It was a big day for my students. They presented their books to the school today in a mini science fair.
I took 10 minutes in the beginning of the day to give a literature quiz on chapter four of the book we're learning. The girls were majorly upset about it, but I couldn't give up the quiz. I'm behind as it is, I can't let them get off with not reading the material.
G.S. failed, she just handed in an empty quiz. I'm not at all surprised. M.L. got a 9/10, and I was so happy for her. She's severely learning disabled, and she tries really hard to do well.
After the quiz, T.K. from 7b (who walks around these days looking like she's going to blow a fuse) and S.G.L. stayed back in the classroom looking all upset. I was alone with the two of them and I tried talking to both of them. Problem was, neither of them wanted to talk in front of the other. So I didn't get anywhere, and I just ended up looking stupid.
I decided to get out of there with whatever dignity I had left, and I ended by telling them that my door was always open.
I would love to help these two, but I can't keep running after them if they won't talk to me. T.K. especially. She seems to have a problem just in my class. I tried talking to her more than once, but she won't say anything. How am I supposed to help her if she won't tell me what's wrong. She makes it very obvious that she's angry at me, but she won't do anything to resolve what's wrong.
I went downstairs and joined the class' science fair.
I had bought cupcakes for the girls but I kept forgetting to give them out. They sat in my locker overnight, but I finally remembered them, and I gave out the half melted cupcakes as they were setting up the fair. The girls were so appreciative. :)
I left for a minute to run down the block and get my camera. the kids were so adorable, I just had to get pictures.
I snapped a few of G.S., C.S.A., S.J., M.R. and R.S. who were sitting on rocking chairs and reading their books out loud to girls sitting on little rugs on the floor.
I took pictures of all the other groups and one of R.R. dissecting a real frog.
I then had to take a break and "psychologise" E.F.G. who was dead upset at T.K. (7b). Now I understood why T.K. was upset as well.
It's a funny thing though, T.K. seems to be turning up in everyone's problems.
I sat around most of the day just supervising and observing my students.
Lately, C.O. became friends with S.G.L. I don't like the friendship, but we'll see. S.G.L., C.O., M.R., and G.S. were running off together all day. I managed to snap a picture of S.G.L. and C.O. together, even though C.O. kept trying to run out of all the pictures.
My co and I stayed late to clean up, and the principal came to talk to us about doing the wax museum.
I think we've come to the conclusion that the girls already were too priveleged. They really didn't need the wax museum. We still have to see about that.
I left at about 5, but my co stayed until 6 with some girls who helped her clean up. M.R. stayed behind with her, and my co tried talking to her about her friendship with S.G.L. Both principals had already spoken to her as well as another teacher, so M.R. already knew the drill. She looked up at my co and said, "I don't need a psychologist, don't worry."
I love the kid, she's so cute!
I got a message to call T.K.'s mother. I can't wait for this conversation.