Wednesday, January 18, 2006

What is This Girl Thinking?!?

More about my test later.
The real issue today was G.S.
First, she came late to class. She came in carrying a whole pile of cake and peanut chews. I refused to give out my tests before she settled down and cleared her desk of all the food.
She made such a fuss of it, it took at least 5 minutes for her to get everything in order.
The class was waiting impatiently so they could begin the tests, when C.S.A. saw the peanut chews.
She's allergic to a lot of things, and peanut putter makes her reactions terrible. C.S.A. had a panic attack as soon as she saw the peanut chews.
I told G.S. to take her briefcase out of the classroom. She made a HUGE deal of it, asking why it was so major to take the peanut chews out of the class. She made fun of C.S.A. for getting so scared, and I was ready to strangle her by the time she finally took it out.
FINALLY, I gave out my tests.
When the first 3 girls gave in their tests, I let them go out to my co who needed some girls to help her clean the lab.
G.S. was one of the first three. She went out loudly with the other girls and helped them make a racket it the hallway.
After about 20 minutes, they all came back in, and I noticed that G.S. was chewing something. It was 5 minutes to recess, so I didn't make a big deal. I saw her sneaking something out of her pocket into her mouth, trying to make sure I didn't see. The girls should only know how much I can see from the teacher's desk.
L.K. started yelling at G.S. that she wasn't being fair, it was dangerous, and right away I realized that G.S. had brought in peanut chews.
C.S.A. had another panic attack right away, and I thought I was going to slap G.S.
I asked her what she was doing, messing around with someone else's health. She just laughed and said that C.S.A. makes a bigger deal of it than it really is. I answered that it still wasn't' her place to test the severity of C.S.A.'s allergies.
I sent G.S. out of the room. As she was leaving, I told her, "Sometimes it's beyond me what you're thinking up there. Or even if you're thinking at all."
I spoke to the principal about this. She was upset too. G.S. has shown no improvement since changing classes, and this wasn't even a behavioral problem. It was something much deeper. WE have to do something.