Thursday, February 09, 2006

German Misconceptions

I had a great time in class today.
For some reason the girls couldn't get that holocaust interview out of their minds, and they brought it up again.
I didn't mind going off on a tangent, especially one so interesting, so I went along.
It took time away from history, but that was ok.
We first reviewed most of what was said in the interview, and then the girls had a ton of questions.
L.K. wanted to know if the guy I had interviewed was a Nazi. -I couldn't stop laughing, as I explained to her that he is in fact quite a nice person, and that not all Germans are Nazis.
M.R. needed to know how people could be so mean. I spent a while telling her that they weren't necessarily mean, they were just mindlessly following a twisted leader.
M.R. had actually gone home and researched video clips of German soldiers marching. I had mentioned to them something about the Germans being beautifully coordinated as they marched, and that video clips always focused on their marching feet, to show how neat they were. M.R. came to tell me that the clip she had seen had focused on the feet, exactly as I had said.
The girls were pretty hurt that the world could be so bad. Their naivete is so charming.
The truth is, I'm still naive and idealistic, and that's why I had this holocaust conversation to begin with.
I had been chatting with my "German friend" for quite some time, and I always had some questions in the back of my mind. That's what prompted me to ask him about the Holocaust.
It took a while to make the girls understand that people cannot be generalized, or put into categories. It can't be that all Germans are bad people, in the same way that not all Americans eat hot dogs. Or in the way that not all Jews have Semitic features. And in the same way that not all Italians are mafiosos.
It was hard to get through to them because they aren't exposed to the world in that way. They don't mean to be racist, but they don't know what's really out there, they only know what they're taught.
In school they're taught that Germans killed Jews. That makes them bad.
They're taught that Africans were slaves. I guess that makes them lower class.
Their knowledge is limited to what they read and learn. Most of them never try to investigate and find out more about their world.
That irks me.
By nature I am a curious person, and I need to know everything. I can never understand how people can go through life not even caring to know more than what they do.
Especially in this school.
If I walk into the classroom one day and tell my students the sky is red, they'll calmly write it in their notes and study it for the test. My students only challenge me when they're trying to waste class time. Never because they really want to know.
So that's one issue. The girls see everything in black and white. Germans = Bad.
Another issue I had in trying to explain this to them is that they are, after all, just 12 year olds.
Sometimes I feel like they're bigger, but in truth, they're really tiny.
They were pretty shocked that I even had a "German friend." They couldn't fathom why a German would even look at a Jew.
Oy, do these kids have a lot to learn.
They wanted to know if I could bring him in for show and tell.
Yeah right. I guess it wouldn't be a problem if I wanted to lose my job.
We had to end the conversation eventually, and go on to history, but It was really nice to spend time on it.
In the 7a class I had a great time. M.R. kept me laughing all day. The class was thrilled to see me in such a good mood, and they caught on to my mood quickly.
In 7b, my mood had stayed with me, so I managed to handle the "calling out" and still keep smiling.
Somehow, L.K. got to telling me that she had seen a young married woman who looked just like me. She wanted to know if she was my sister.
I laughed and said that I didn't have any married siblings. They then asked if I had sisters that looked like me.
I told them that she was 6 years old.
The girls were thrilled to hear that I had such young siblings. They begged me to bring her in. R.H. wanted to know how many siblings I had.
I just smiled and told her that I'd leave it to her imagination.
It's funny how these girls are so into every aspect of my life. Hee hee.
The principal came in closer to the end of the day to announce the newspaper jobs.
Very few girls got jobs in the paper. It's supposed to be a big privilege.
But of course, in the 7b class, they don't appreciate anything, and R.H. who had gotten the job of reporter, immediately said she wanted to back out. L.K. who was assigned to graphics, followed R.H.'s lead.
I have no doubts that T.K. will soon join as well.
I'm more than slightly turned off.
I had sat for hours trying to make sure that these specific girls had gotten jobs. I guess there are some people you can never seem to please.
By the way, who do you think is in charge of the entire newspaper?
ME!!!
I love to write, and a career in journalism would be a dream come true, but taking charge of a seventh grade newspaper...? Not my cup of tea.
I'll be staying late a lot, pressuring my head off to get to print on time, and making sure the girls all have their jobs done.
I did not volunteer for the job. It seems that it was a hidden part of my duties. It's a seventh grade newspaper, and I'm the seventh grade English and writing teacher, so that makes it all my job.
Yay.
And how much do you think I'm getting paid for this?
Yep, the grand total of $000000.00.
I am definitely going to start making calls to other schools Sunday afternoon.
It's time to start applying for next year.

No comments: