Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Open Notes Test

I was running around school having to get things done, when I bumped into the secretary. She stopped me and asked me what I was doing next year.
I asked her in regard to what.
She answered, "Well, next year there will only be one seventh grade class, so you'll only be teaching for an hour and a half a day. Why don't you begin calling other schools to see if you can find another job?"
I laughed and asked her if she was trying to fire me.
"No, I'm only asking you because I want your good."
Uh huh.
I told her that I hadn't begun thinking of next year, and I wasn't going to worry about it yet.
Everyone knows that the secretary is the principal's spy, but to make it so obvious?
My co said that she does this every year so that they can get a feel for what the teachers are thinking.
I asked why the principal didn't ask the teachers, why'd she send the secretary.
My co told me that I could answer that for myself. I knew what she meant. If the principal would've asked me I would've lied. (O.k, I lied to the secretary too, but I would've trusted her 100x faster than the principal.)
If the principal in this school knows what the feeling is about her to the extent that she had to send the secretary to spy for her, why am I working for such a jerk?
Actually, the question is, why is she still the principal?
I met with the principal for a couple of minutes about the newspaper. I had given her all the typed articles, and she read them over. The only thing she censored was one of my poems because it said something about blood boiling. Whatever.
She approved the paper, and then she asked me what I learned from all this. I gave her the answer she wanted...That a newspaper can be done in one week.
Yeah, one week of killing myself.
I also handed her S.G.L.'s report card. The principal had driven me nuts about the comment I planned to write, so I told her, "Here, write your own comment." She was more than happy to show me how to do what I couldn't do.
My open notes test worked very well. Most of the girls were finished within 45 minutes. I marked the tests on the spot, and the girls all did fantastically. Even the special girls. They all took the regular test and still impressed me.
The 7b class was a disaster. The girls all had questions and they drove me nuts. The 7a class had absolutely no problems but when I walked out of 7b I had a splitting headache.
T.K. drove me insane. She had a ton of questions, finished last, and scored a 79%. All she wanted to know was if she could retake the test. I absolutely refused.
She said that she would have her mother call the school.
If I wouldn't be a teacher I'd have a nice word to put in here.
Let her mother call. I couldn't care less. I will not let her retake an open notes test. Let her get a tutor.
Report cards were given out today and a ton of girls had questions for me about certain marks they'd gotten. This, mind you, was after the principal had come in to give a speech about not opening the report cards in school.
I was upset, and refused to answer any questions. If they had a problem let their mothers call me. But coming over to me in school, showing that they had blatantly disregarded what the principal had said? I was not going to stand for that.
O.k., I must admit that I am being more than a little hypocritical about listening to authority here, but I will say this in my defense: I have never disrespected authority and been so proud of it as to show my teacher to her face that I didn't care. Or even the principal. As much as I hate her, I'm still respectful to her, and I will never do something to spiteful to her face. What I do behind her back is my business, but to her face is absolutely wrong.
It hurt to see that my students are this way.
Of course, I had to type tonight as well. Newspaper has to get to print by tomorrow, and even that's late. We still need time to collate. I guess the collating will be done on Sunday morning, but I wonder if it will be enough time.
Tonight I'm taking some personal time off to speak to my husband. He misses me. And also, it's his birthday.
No job, no matter how important or time consuming, is going to keep me working on my husband's birthday.
See you tomorrow.

No comments: