Thursday, April 27, 2006

An Exhausting Day

The day started pretty early as far as my mornings usually go. I had to get to my interview by 9:45. The school was in "yehupitzville," another way of saying "in a tiny little corner of the other end of the world."
I took a car service and paid him half my salary to get me there. The 20 minute trip cost t me $12. I know how to drive, but my husband takes the car every day, so I'm pretty much stuck as far as transportation goes.
I found the school easily and met with the principal.
I got a little bit of a down feeling talking to her, although she seemed very nice. I'm not going to kid myself. From talking to this principal, I could immediately tell that her school was no less pressuring than mine.
Pressuring is not really the word. I'm trying to say that this school and my school both like to incorporate many new systems in their classrooms all the time. I'm sort of trying to get away from all that, but there are other issues in my school as well. I guess that if this is the only problem I have so far, that's pretty good.
We spoke about what I taught, also about why I wanted to leave the school I was in, and about
setting up a model lesson for me.
I was honest with her and told her that I was very nervous for the model lesson as one lesson in
front of a strange classroom could not compare to what I could to with my students.
She understood, but this is protocol, and we agreed to speak later about setting up a lesson.
Then, I took the city bus back home. It took me a full hour to get back to my end of the world.
That's another thing that bugs me. If I do get this job, I'm not sure I want to travel an hour each way every day.
I'm pretty spoiled as things are now. I roll out of bed, down the block, and into class. I'm too much of a J.A.P. to actually sit on and transfer to city buses just to go to work. My husband isn't at all interested in this. He's dying for me to come to work for him. (He definitely pays more!)
Yesterday, we had the funniest conversation. It seemed funny, because I was very down and nervous about the interview and about a job for next year. I was depressed about the whole thing and for the money I'’m making, it'’s not worth it. I asked my husband if I should just opt out of this business, and he told me that I had better go to that interview today.
We had heard that this school paid well, and my husband told me with a serious face that he wanted me to get accepted here and make at least $18,000 a year. That would be enough to just cover our rent. "Living expenses I can handle," he said, "it's the rent that kills me."
Anyway,
I need to think about this a lot more, although the principal already called my principal, and she told me that it seemed very optimistic. The new principal made it sound like she was impressed with me and wanted to give me a job.....I WISH! The job we're talking about by the way is seventh and eighth grade English and history. It means preparing all over for the eighth grade. I just don't know right now.
The classes managed to finish a nice amount of history, and even a chapter in literature. Hopefully, we can finish this book next week. The 7b class is so nutsy these days, I'm just losing it. I'm lost to the extent of having to send L.K. out today, acting very strict, and even calling the principal in to observe the class. (!) Yes, I actually asked her to come in. At this point I could no longer control them.
I was dead tired from my interview and bus rides in the a.m. and this was my second class for the day, and I still was going to the twelfth grade.
I gave them a chapter to read for homework and C.S.A. exploded like hot lava. I ignored it all, but it irks me. I used to think so highly of the kid, and now I can't stand her babyishness. The truth is, she is a year younger than the rest of the class. The class very much matured over Pesach, and she stayed the same if she didn't become more babyish. I'm assuming this has something to do with the age and not the grade. Maybe she'll only mature next year. I sure hope so for her teacher's sake.
The principal spoke to both my co and I about G.S. It seems that since she's switched classes, she's been feeling a little lost and left out by her teachers. We only noticed her so much before, becuase we had to give her negative attention. Now that she's so good, it's hard to notice her. I tried hard to pay more attention to her in class today, and I gave her kudos for getting an answer right. Her face lit up. I was shocked at how such a small thing could make such a big difference.
Twelfth grade was realxing, I just proctored them during an economics test. The kids were killing themselves over this stuff, and I knew it in my dreams. It helps when your husband does this for a livng. The girls were shocked when I was able to explain to them what questions they had gotten wrong. Maybe my husband's right, Maybe I should work for him!
My co went to tutor C.O. today. I wonder how it went.
S.G.L. decided to find out more about me, and she told my co that I went to this elementary school as a kid. She was pretty wrong, although my uniform shirt as a child happened to have been the same color as this school's. Oh well, better luck on her next guess.

No comments: