Wednesday, April 26, 2006

New Jobs, and Paper Clips

I spent all morning looking for a new job. Other schools are not very accommodating. The principals don't come in until 12, and that's when I have to go teach. I don't understand how teachers manage to switch schools. You have to be in two places at once to accomplish all that.
I went up to the principal today to show her a DVD that I thought the classes should see. It's called Paper Clips by marimax films. It's a documentary of the class in Whitehall, Tennessee that collected 6 million paper clips for the 6 million Jews that perished in the Holocaust.
The principal and I spoke about it for a while and then she said that she'd look into it.
She then asked me how my job search was going. I told her I was frustrated, and she said that she would let me have time off from school to go to interviews if I needed to. She said that I should definitely use her as a reference.
I walked out a bit confused, and still a little down about my no-job situation.
The big class today was so fantastic. They managed to learn one aim in history, and one entire chapter in their literature books. And the still had time to daven mincha and take a spelling test.
The other class was full of stupid questions and stories, and even with 5 girls absent, it didn't get better. The girls absent were the wring ones. Now, if L.K., R.H., L.O., C.K., and maybe one more were gone, my day would have been a breeze.
In the end, we're about 3 pages behind in literature. I'm keeping my hopes high of getting them even tomorrow.
This happened yesterday, but I forgot to put it in. I told the girls that they couldn't come to my class with their shirts untucked even though it was very hot outside.
L.O. was upset, saying that tucking her shirt in made her look fat.
I laughed and said that they couldn't talk about fat in front of their teachers. "Because when you say 'Oh my gosh!! I'm 85 lbs, I'm a fat pig!!' Imagine what your teacher feels like!"
R.H. piped up and said, "Oh, c'mon Mrs. Teacher, you aren't even 85 lbs so you can't talk!"
I gave it to her on the head. Can you now understand why I wish these kids were absent?

No comments: