Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Birthday Bloopers

My co called me this morning with a birthday surprise. She was going to be absent from school today. I did it to her yesterday, and she left the bag in my hands today.
The truth is, I didn't mind. Nothing could put out my birthday mood today.
Once in school I began the relay race to get all the newspaper things into order so that my girls could collate. We used the big classroom and every girl had a stack of papers on her desk. They all passed papers to the girls in front of them who passed them to the front of their rows. On the first desk of each row was where the girls deposited their collated papers, and then I and a few other girls ran around collecting the papers from the front desks and put them together.
T.K. and S.F.F. were in charge of stapling, and it all went well.
For about 5 minutes that is.
My class was nutty and hyper and most of the girls weren't working and just strolling the halls. I was way too busy to run after them, so I just let them go.
We made so many mistakes. Half the school will be getting papers with pages upside down, and others will have doubles and some will be missing.
I don't care at this point.
At 10 to 2 I sent the 7a class to computers. The 7b class stayed to finish the papers.
I sent C.S. down to put some papers into my locker for the teachers, that was the biggest mistake I made all day.
C.S. was nosy and went to peek at the seventh grade test calendar to see her class' schedule for the month. Problem was, I had written that it was my birthday right across the squares for today and tomorrow. C.S. came running up to the classroom to tell everyone that it was my birthday.
I was mortified, but I laughed along with the girls. I told them that they found out my secret, but that any further mention of it would be inappropriate.
Of course, F.G. went out and brought me a large empty box of freeze pops for my birthday present. I gave her a look to kill and icily asked her where she was when I had announced to the class that the discussion was over. She melted.
I'm getting good at this!
M.L. drove me nuts all day. She kept following me around and asking stupid questions. She's moving to Israel this summer, and she has no friends, and I really should feel sorry for her, but I can't do that when she drives me this crazy.
I hope I'll be more patient tomorrow.
After recess, the 7b class went to computers, and the 7a class finished their editorials as I finished stapling the rest of the papers.
S.G.L. was back and she actually spoke to me today. She smiled and told me thank you when I let her go out of class, and she contributed to my lesson.
Maybe we're getting somewhere.
At 3:20 I got both classes together for some history, (surprise, surprise) and then I dismissed them a bit early.
After school I went to spiral bind some papers for myself, my co, and the principal, and I met two girls who were applying for teaching positions.
I had a long talk with one of them about the pressure in the school, and she seemed bothered by it all. She was trying to get away from all this in her school and she was disappointed to hear that it was the same way here. I gave her my number so that she could ask me anything she wanted to know about the job here, and then she went in to meet the principal.
The other girl I met was actually offered the job for 6th grade history and English next year. She was going home to think about it when I stopped her and asked her if she had discussed salary. When I told her how much she'd be getting paid here, she flipped. She seriously debated whether to take the job or not.
I am so the devil's advocate in this school. :) (Wicked laugh...MWAAAHAHHHAHAA!)

No comments: