Thursday, May 11, 2006

Short Thursday and Disappointing News

It was a short Thursday because I had no twelfth grade. I was looking forward to today because it meant that the week was almost over.
I tried to have a newspaper meeting during lunch, but I had to cancel it because the girls were dying to go downstairs and cheer for their color war team.
Very few girls stayed for the meeting and then S.G.L. tried to walk out of it because she claimed I was only giving attention to the other reporter and not her. I yelled her back into her seat. She was pleased with the attention.
I went to the principal again to ask her about the high school trip, and she said she would talk to the high school principal and then let me know.
I got history done without too many problems, but D.T. asked a question about the Mormon religion, and I hope what I answered won't get me into too much trouble. In the other class, when I had to bring up the topic of polygamy again, the girls wanted to know what was wrong with it. C.S.A. made a comment that was so on target I had to turn to the board so that the class wouldn't see me laugh. She said that there was no way in the world a man could handle two wives. It was probably made illegal because too many men were driven nuts by their wives. Pretty astute for a 12 year old. (She's still 12, the youngest in the class.)
I made a spontaneous decision to do literature instead of writing today, and it worked out nicely. I read the story out loud to them as they followed along, stopping occasionally to write notes.
I spent 10 minutes in each class on newspaper, and I sent the reporters out to tell the classes the entry topic for this month.
I also changed R.H. and G.S.'s seats. I put G.S. near C.C.K. They're friends, and when I spoke to G.S.'s mother last night she suggested that G.S. would be happier near her friends. It happened to have worked out nicely for today.
The principal sent me a message to come see her, so I ran down to her recess time. She told me that she didn't let me go on the high school trip. I'm more than a bit peeved. It's not so much that I wanted to go, but she messed with my head all week, and then she still didn't let me go. My husband is more annoyed than I am. He was looking forward to his night off next week. I promised him that he could still have it. :)
My co had a miserable day too. The principal kept pestering her to make a decision about next year. My co insisted on getting paid a nice amount if she chose to stay, and the principal was giving her hell.
The principal stopped her three times today about the topic and then insisted on an answer by Sunday. Turns out the principal form my new school had called for info on my co (I take that as a good sign...) and my principal tried to take advantage of that with my co. She said that she would give good information to the new school if my co would allow her to begin looking at applications for next year.
My co left school feeling the way I felt yesterday. Oh, and she also had to go tutor C.O.
I hope she gets the job!!

No comments: