Monday, June 19, 2006

Trip Again

I got to school when the kids were already on the bus waiting to leave to their trip. I wouldn't have made it on time has my co not called me frantically to ask me where I was.
I made it to the hot stuffy bus in about three seconds flat, but it didn't matter because we didn't leave for another half hour anyway.
The girls were all hyper and more than a little disrespectful. They seem to have lost sight of the line that separates a teacher from a student.
First thing that ticked me off on this trip was the bus driver. The girls were all flirting with him. They were chatting to him in Hebrew and they seemed to be on a first name basis with him. My co had to push them al back into their seats.
Then, the girls kept peppering us with questions. They all wanted to know what school I'd be teaching in next year, and I told them to back off until tomorrow. But that didn't stop them from asking all sorts of questions.
The trip there took forever; the driver was taking the longest route possible, but we finally got there.
The girls all ran off the bus, except for C.O. and S.G.L. They were sitting in the back and taking their nice sweet time getting out of their seats. As they made it to the front, I told C.O. to close her top button (the latest trend is to wear an undershirt under the uniform and wear the shirts opened until the third button. I can't stand it.) and then I told her that unlike the last trip, she would make sure not to lag behind everyone else. She smirked.
Outside on the sidewalk, the class lined up as I led them to the bridge that would take them across the busy street to the warship we were supposed to visit. F.G. interrupted me to tell me that I was going in the wrong direction.
I was going in the right direction, and F.G. was really fresh about it all, so I turned to her and said, "I know exactly where we're going, and if you don't mind, please let me be the teacher today. You've tried taking me over all year. Enough." She turned red and was quiet for a while.
Across the bridge, I led the girls into the building, and waited while my co signed us in. We went first to explore a submarine, and that turned out to be very interesting.
After the tour of the sub, I spoke to my co about S.G.L. and C.O. They were going over to every man in the place and saying hi. I also had to tell C.O. to close her shirt ten times. D.T. was also wearing the undershirt again, and I told her to close her shirt too.
Inside the museum, I asked the girls which film they wanted to see, and F.G. tried talking for me again. I put her in her place again. Nicer this time though.
The class was going up to the upper deck of the ship before the movie, and I was waiting for the girls who were stuck behind taking pictures. C.O. and S.G.L. were holding hands the entire trip and calling wach other by nicknames. The pictures they were taking were very mushy and they were showing off to the entire class how huggy and feely they were. I was so nauseous.
The movie was very nice, except for M.L. who kept reaching over B.E.D. to touch me and ask me irrelevant questions. I tried not to get angry, and I don't think she heard me groan into my hands.
As soon as the lights went off for the film, S.G.L. and C.O. went down to the lower part of the theater (holding hands of course) to find other seats. My co was going to stop them, but in the end they went back on their own.
On the way home, my co was busy organizing a party for M.L. girls were all crowded around her as she arranged jobs for girls to do that night. M.L. heard her name, and A.L. shouted out to everyone that M.L. knew. How subtle.
We were back in the neighborhood, and some girls wanted the bus to drop them off near their houses. We didn't have permission to let them off and we refused to let the bus stop.
L.O. and C.K. were really disgusting about it. They kept yelling at me that it wasn't fair, and I kept telling them that it was not up to me.
C.K. made a real nasty comment, and I looked at her sharply and told her, "You must remember C.K that no matter what, I am not your friend, I am you teacher, and this is not acceptable behavior." She kept quiet.
Back at school we spoke to the principal about C.O. and S.G.L. and she was very cooperative. She gave me my rating sheets, and I went home all annoyed that I had to fill them out.
Once home,I spent time working on the present for my co's engagement party tomorrow, and then she called me when she was on the way over to the party at D.T.'s house for M.L.
We came there, met up with the rest of the students, and the Hebrew teachers. H.W. called my cellphone pretending that I was D.T. to tell me that they were at the corner. The girls got all ready to surprise her, and she was very surprised when they started singing.
The girls snapped a ton of pictures as we teachers were eating, and they were a little to chummy for my liking.
I had to leave early, but I heard later that I didn't really miss anything.
I spent all night on report cards. By the time I was done, my hand was swollen, and I was knocked out. I hope I got all the marks right.

No comments: