Wednesday, September 06, 2006

First Day!!!!

I was a wreck all morning, but as soon as I got dressed, and looked the part of a teacher I felt better. Practicing my lessons in front of the mirror helped too.
The drive to school was fun, and when we got there it was pretty hectic. There isn't any teacher's room in my school because we are expected to be with our classes all the time. That meant that because it's Wednesday, I had to go to my classroom to eat lunch with the 8th graders. They had pizza for lunch and it smelled so good, but I didn't think it'd look right to eat it in front of them on the first day of school.
When I walked in, I just smiled right away and made a joke about the lack of a teacher's desk in the room. I had to squeeze my looseleaf, my stencils, my seating chart, and my book on this tiny student's desk. I ended up just holding the book and the chart in my hand.
The girls in 8th grade were very much like the 7b class last year. They're upbeat, smart, and really cute. I remembered B.K. from last year. She was always raising her hand. She reminds me of C.S.A. last in 7b.
R.S. is sweet too, and M.S. already asked me if they'll have subs often with me. LOL. Mm.S. seemed a little slow; the principal already told me she has focusing problems. C.F.C. is really cute, but she also needs things explained to her more than once. D.S.W. is a cutie pie I remember from my model lesson, and T.G. kept trying to participate.
I'm a bit worried because the class keeps forgetting to raise their hands and they call out like 7b, but I'll come in more strict tomorrow, and see if I can't settle them down.
I taught them 2 aims in history and they were so proud of themselves for learning so much. They hadn't covered that much in three weeks last year.
We did some writing, and a creativity spark, which they all loved.
I explained my rules, and made them sign a contract for homework.
I told them about my journal and the index cards and they seemed very excited to try them. I gave them recess outside, (it's a rule in the school) and then I switched with my co to 7th grade.
They reminded me of 7a because they were quiet, but they seem much slower than them. They're more like 6th graders than 7th graders. And that's not just because my girls grew up over the year, they really are on a lower level than they should be. I barely got through half an aim in history, because they didn't write notes very well, and they kept asking questions that slowed me down.
R.A. is a brilliant show off of a child who already got on my nerves for trying to show me how intelligent she is. I heard she needs a challenge, and I feel a little bad for her, because the other girls can't stand her brilliance.
D.A. is adorable, but I can tell she is a bit of a trouble maker.
S.S. is majorly learning disabled (LD), I asked her to turn off the air conditioner, and she couldn't figure it out.
B.B. just switched from a special school, she's getting mainstreamed in my class. I can tell she isn't up to par. Her hair was a mess, and she was a little slow in everything she did.
R.B. is quiet, but a real good kid...or at least I think so...
I can't figure out S.E. yet. She had her sleeves rolled up pretty high, and she participated a lot. I think I'll keep an eye on her.
The day flew by so fast, I didn't get very far with 7th in writing or in history. I hope to catch up tomorrow.
The girls in both classes all seemed cute and friendly, and I'm excited to get to know them better.
The teachers are wonderful and so are the principals and secretaries. I spoke to the principal again about yearbook, and she was like, "Oh, for sure she got the job, I didn't tell you that?"
I asked if she actually wanted to meet my sister, and she said, "Yeah, that might be a good idea, when do you think she can come down?" I was laughing because everything was so chilled.
I hope the girls all have their contracts signed by tomorrow, because I would hate to start disciplining tomorrow...
The car was like the teacher's room, with all the teachers chatting away about their day. I need to get some food for the drive, because on the way home we're all starving.
We all unanimously agreed that we wouldn't wear suits anymore. The first day of school is over and out come the sweater sets!
By the way, a big thank you to N.Y.F. who changed the name of my blog. I'm always talking about how I do this because I'm a teacher with heart, so it's a fitting title. Also, for those of you who know where I'm teaching, the name is kind of cute, isn't it?
Waiting for your comments....and please people, let's try to get the site counter up this year!

No comments: