Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Teacher's Orientation..The Way it's Supposed to Be!

I managed to drive there without too much screaming from the back seat. Parking was harder than driving, and my husband called at that second, worrying if I got there alright. He became very protective of me lately. He's so happy that I found a good school and that I'll be much happier this year.
I feel so good knowing that he cares LOL.
The meeting started on time, and it was so great. The principal and the administrator both spoke for about 5 minutes each, and then the Hebrew and English teachers split up to go to separate meetings.
Our meeting took about another 10 minutes, and it was so light and easygoing. We were each given folders, and flipping through it, I was so happy to see that everything in there was important for me to have. It wasn't just a thousand papers of junk.
There was the schedule of all the English Fridays, a schedule of the day, some rules, the school's insurance policy, and the progress reports from last year.
The principal met with each of us to go over some of the students and their problems. Turns out, I have a lot of LD kids this year. I hope it'll be ok.
I asked the principal what to do about the reading program, because I had no idea how to do it. She told me to just do my own thing until she had time to sit with me and explain it all. I was so relieved. She was so cool with history also.
It seems that last year the seventh grade had only completed up until chapter 8. I was ready to go in tomorrow and begin teaching from chapter 16-17. She said it was so fine and that I should just start where I wanted.
She didn't seem to care about curriculum as long as I kept the girls busy and happy.
I wore my longest sheitel and nail polish just to see if anyone would say anything, and no one did!
I had to spend some time setting up my classroom, and that was annoying, but I got to meet my co, and she's a sweetheart! I'm so excited! The teachers in general are so nice.
I got home from school about 1:30. At my old school, orientation didn't end till about 5 last year! When I called my husband to tell him how nice it went, he laughed, because he was so happy for me.
I'm a little nervous for tomorrow, but I think I'm prepared enough, and I'm sort of excited to get back behind the desk.
Have me in mind tomorrow while I try getting the year off to a good start...

No comments: