Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Unexpected Changes

Eighth grade today was a shlep. I have to get this letter to self done already as the principal is even beginning to nudge me.
I told them that it's due on Friday. Hopefully, that's not an unrealistic expectation.
I was slightly annoyed at some of the girls who were just plain lazy to write anything today. Like R.Y. She was being so lazy, and she expected me to let her get away with it too.
She had come over to me before class to tell me that she had not done her homework. I told her that was unacceptable and she was upset at me for marking it down.
Well, what did she think?! Did she really think that just because she forgot to write down the homework and felt bad about it, I was going to give her a pardon?
Kids these days ...*sigh*.
We tried finishing up Charles in literature, but we got so carried away with schmoozing, that we got nowhere.
During recess I bumped into the principal, who wanted me to talk to her about Hebco.
I spoke with her and was very honest.
I told her that I felt that Hebco's relationship with the students was inappropriate. I said that I felt that we teachers were not being given a chance because Hebco insisted on holding on to that bond she had with the 8th grade.
I said that she had made a comment to the 8th graders that she was offered my co's job but my co got it because she didn't want it. I told the principal that whether it was true or not, I didn't' think the kids had to be told that.
The principal was quite shocked and said that she had never offered the job to Hebco. I told her that I didn't care and neither did my co, but that we felt it was inappropriate for the kids.
I also told her how Hebco had told me that I only got my job because she had pulled for me.
The principal was laughing so hard at how not true it all was.
I told her that I was used to it as I knew Hebco as a kid and that she hadn't changed.
I insisted that she not speak to her about this at all, because it didn't matter to me what fantasy world Hebco lived in. I just wanted to make sure she was kept away from my students.
The principal said that she had had the same feelings for a long time and wanted to hear from us how we felt.
I repeated myself and told her that I didn't want anything mentioned to Hebco; that we teachers were ok with the way things were as long as she didnt infringe on our territory.
Later, my co came to tell me that the principal came over to her and apologized for the misconception she might have had about Hebco being offered the job.
My co laughed it off, but she told me she was as relieved as I was to hear that the principal was on "our" side.
I had told the principal that I felt bad as the Hebrew principal was so insistent that I take Hebco as my sub.
She said, "Well yes, but I am the one who makes the final decision, and I don't want to put Hebco there."
I felt so good!
Seventh grade had their test today and the class average was an 87. It wasn't bad, but I had 4 kids taking a special test!
E.M.B. didn't study and almost failed. She wants to take it over, but I dunno if I can let her. She knew about this test a week ago.
C.S.S. went and memorized the letters of the Multiple choice (I gave her the test in advance) but I expected that, so I gave her a shorter version of the test with the questions mixed up.
She flunked beautifully :).
S.G. also got an easy test and she had a hard time anyway.
I don't know what to do with my kids anymore.
Anyway, the biggest thing that happened today was that B.B. was absent for a week.
Hebco had mentioned it to the principal who called B.B.'s aunt who told us that she took B.B. out of school and switched her to a special school.
I am relieved and I think it's the best thing for her, but it is unexpected. I'm surprised that the aunt didn't tell us anything, and waited for us to call her.
Interesting people out there...

No comments: