Thursday, December 28, 2006

Amazing What a Letter Can Do

My friend the girls had been davening for sent them a letter.
I used it to bribe them into being good today.
The 8th grade were total angels as they continued with their biographies and they behaved all through maps.
The seventh grade was a slightly different story.
F.E. came over to me recess time to tell me that she didn't do her homework again last night.
I don't get what goes through the minds of these kids.
I was so pissed, I just told her that I was not going to talk to her about this, and I went right back into the office.
The child still called me out another time to ask me what she should do.
I looked at her and told her it was quite the opposite as I was at a loss with what to do with her. She got the message and left me alone.
I was so overwhelmed with this. I know I should speak to the principal, but I'm not sure if involving her is the right thing for me to do.
I feel like going to her will show her I can't handle the class, or that it's disloyal to my students to run to her when I have a problem.
I walked into the class, still at a loss for what to teach.
I was planning on doing literature groups, but after that run in with F.E. I had no koach for it.
I spoke to the class right in the beginning.
I told them I was not mad at them, but that I was at a loss for what to do, and that something had to be done, but I didn't know what.
I told them that until I could figure it out, I'd stop doing literature, but that I wanted all their homework on my desk from now on.
All literature assignments, whether the groups met that day or not, were to be handed in.
The girls groaned, but didn't complain. I think they all understood me.
Then I asked for the journals of 4 girls, and out of all of them, only N.N. had hers in school. The rest of the class by the way, had forgotten to do the assignments for the last two weeks.
I played it cool and said that for next Thursday they had to be all up to date, but I think this warrants a visit to the principal, as much as I don't want one.
After that was all sorted out, I read the girls a sample of what a photo essay should be like. They were laughing at the scene I read of my cousin and I getting sick on a roller coaster.
Half of them decided to change around what they had already written so that it could be as funny as mine.
After they had all done their beginnings, we worked on the "during" part of the essay.
They worked like dolls because they knew I had my friend's letter waiting for them.
Sure enough, as soon as they got their work all done, I read them the letter.
They were thrilled, and they had a load of questions LOL.
They were perfect till the end of the day.
I should have my friend write every day!
Anyway, I'm so glad the weekend is here. I so need this break.
Sorry my writing is kinda stinky today. I'm way too tired and cranky to make much sense.

No comments: