Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy (?) New Years

If my students made New Year's resolutions, they must have all been broken by the time I walked into class.
I was kind of down because I had to talk to the principal before class. She had called me over to talk to me about Internet usage. She heard from the students that I had mentioned something about a website and she told me that the school took a very strong stand about kids using the Internet and even about parents allowing it into the homes.
I understood her very well, but I also know that every single kid in the class has Internet access and flaunts it. I guess she did not want me advocating it.
I know it's not my fault, but I felt bad about it anyway.
While I was talking to the principal, I told her about the seventh grade and their homework problems last week.
She was very upset.
I made sure to stick in that I was feeling that they Shabbaton was more important than derech eretz to them. I told her that this was one of my concerns when I voted against giving them the Shabbaton. I said that they were not ready to balance fun and school.
I said that I felt so bad for the 5 girls who were on the level the class needed to be on that were being held back by the lazy and dumber kids.
I asked her if I should just forget about teaching on the lower level because those lower girls were not even trying to keep up with that.
She was pretty upset and told me she'd speak with the class.
So back to 8th grade.
They chattered all the way through my class.
I scheduled a test for Monday and I do not think that I'm going to finish the chapter in time. They did not let me get even half the aim done today. I hate the thought of pushing off the test, but I might just have to do that.
We talked about Teddy Roosevelt and the trust busters and then about the Pure Food and Drug Administration.
I got them all scared to use their creams after I went through some that some of the girls used that are known to cause chemical burns. I told them that legally, they had to tell them about it, and that if they looked carefully it was bound to be in fine print there somewhere.
They were horrified, but I'm sure they'll never forget the Pure Food and Drug Act.
I also told them the incident that happened last year where that guy changed the label of some cold cut rolls and had the ingredients read things like "pigs toenails" and "dog's doo". They kids were on the floor.
So while the lesson was fun, it was hard to keep them all in line.
7th grade was utter chaos when I walked in. D.A. had just finished scribbling on the board that C.S.S. was a jerk, when I walked in, followed by the principal.
I saved D.A.'s behind by erasing the message as the principal yelled at the class about transcripts and how they were not going to get into decent high schools.
After she left, I had another 3 girls raise their hands that they didn't do their homework. Again.
AGGGGGGGHRRRRRRR!
I started teaching History, and it went so nicely today.
I had the girls take out their notes and write only occasionally; when I told them to. Instead of teaching, we read a play of the Constitutional Convention, and then we stopped at all important parts to write notes.
I'm glad it worked. It took a boring lesson and made it fun. We will finish that tomorrow.
Tomorrow in the 8th grade we will do ELA practice. I was only told last week that my class was doing the ELA next week, and that leaves me barely any time to teach them what they need to know.
I read over the stuff on Shabbos, and I don't think my kids should have a problem with it, but I do feel that practice would be a nice thing.
I know right now that D.F. and R.Y. will fail the thing, but I'm sure the other girls will do just fine.
To end off on a happy tone, I think I have a substitute. (**fingers crossed**) She is the 2nd grade (? I think) Hebrew teacher in the school and she said she'd do it for me.
Yay. Now I can have this baby in peace.
I'd like to have it tomorrow please- I need this break!

No comments: