Thursday, December 07, 2006

Erev Shabbaton

The 8th grade was crazy today.
They had taken their class and committee pictures during lunch, and when I came into class to grab my books, they begged me not to learn today. I told them to keep dreaming and to clean up the pigsty in the classroom before I walked in.
The room was in total chaos, with their luggage for Shabbos was on one side of the room, their posters on another, and their garbage everywhere in between.
I walked in a few minutes later, and it was still a huge mess. I told them off and gave them two more minutes to clean up. In the meantime, I went to the office to finish my chocolate bar. :)
In class, it took us the entire period to learn a 15 minute lesson in history. I was quite annoyed, but at least I got the chapter done, and next week I just won't do history for a few days while we focus on other things.
I can't believe this, but I offered to do that crazy biography project that I did with my last year's class with the 8th grade. The principal loved the idea, and it'll keep me going for at least 6 weeks.
I'm even taking the girls to the library Monday to choose books.
T.B.N. keeps getting on my nerves lately with all the stupid questions she asks in class. So does T.G. because she's always disrupting.
I have to have a schmooz with both of them.
During recess, I had to print out some sort of mythbuster for B.G. who really believed all those stupid things she got through email were true. I checked out a couple of those stories and proved to her that all those emails were just there to drive her nuts.
Talking about B.G., she and some of the girls had been telling me earlier that they loved the outfit I was wearing. They said I looked so cute and that they loved the way I dressed. I am more than flattered.
If they think I dress well now, wait till they see my wardrobe once I'm skinny again...Only a few more weeks!
Talking about that, my sub just cancelled. I think I'm in trouble. The day is getting closer, and I need to find a sub...else, I'll have to let Hebco take over my class....:(
Because I'm not going along for their Shabbaton, (blame the DH for that one) I felt guilty, so I offered to make some food and nosh.
They put me in charge of cooking their eggs. I had to make 3 dozen eggs last night. I felt like I was cooking for a yeshiva. I have never had to handle so many eggs! (I won't begin to tell you how many ended up splattered all over my kitchen!)
I also made 4 recipes of peanut chews last night. My husband was not allowed to have any because it was his fault we were not going to the Shabbaton. He's never gonna forgive me.
7th grade today was a little out of control.
I had to yell at S.G. (and I felt so bad that I spoke to her after class to make sure she was fine) and C.S.S. totally went past her two warnings for today.
It took us all day to finish the aim I wanted to, but now that means I have only one more aim until their test on Thursday. I feel better about that; I'll catch up on the reading groups next week.
Speaking of reading groups, my two top ones are pretty much done their books. I had to speak with the principal about getting them new novels, and she was so impressed at how fast I was moving.
My DH, ever the optimist, told me that my girls were probably failing because I was going too quick. I opened my records and showed him their averages. I think even he was impressed!
At the end of the day I taught the girls how to make paper airplanes. For some weird reason it had come up yesterday in class, and D.A. begged me to teach them to make them. I told them I'd do it if we got everything done today. I kept my word!
I made my DH drive me to my parent's office before so that we could pick up their 15 passenger van that the 8th grade wanted to use to get to their Shabbaton. What I don't do for my kids...

No comments: