Thursday, September 15, 2005

Even Worse

Today, was if possible, worse than yesterday.
I didn't do any writing, but I did give out the copies of those syllabuses I worked on. The students were so happy they were already starting to read them in class. I was still not happy about it though. There isn't any reason these seventh graders should feel the need to rely on a typed sheet of requirements.
Anyway, the day was slow, the girls were cranky, I made some jokes, lightened the mood a little, but I got the feeling that the girls were impatient.
It was a hard day, we spent most of the time filling out literature definitions and terms. It was boring work, but it had to get done.
10 minutes to the end of the day, the principal came into my room. Why she couldn't wait 10 minutes until dismissal is beyond me, but she walked in and importantly made the class do some quiet work while she spoke to me.
So this is what was on her mind.
Number one, I had asked her for the next writing assignment my class was supposed to do. As I already mentioned, the principal is very involved, and she gives out detailed writing assignments to the teachers for the class. So in a way, it's a good thing, because she gives me all the material, I just have to present it to the class. There's not much preparation on my part in this subject. (Except for maybe writing an example of what they should be doing, and of course those syllabuses!)
So the principal suggested doing creative writing for a week before I continued with a structured piece, that way, the kids relax a little, (and maybe even enjoy it! LOL) The idea is that the students get time to write something short in class, and then we read some of them out loud. It's not like a formal writing that gets handed in.
The next thing on her list was not so great.
Part of my job is to come to school a little early, and supervise the students during lunch.
Earlier that day, when I was downstairs in the lunchroom, two of the counselors that worked under me in day camp, came over to say hi. It was nice meeting them in their school setting, they were wearing uniforms, and I was carrying a teacher's bag. (LOL)
It seems that the morning principal wasn't so thrilled with the idea of me socializing. (Should I tell her that I'm not thrilled with the idea of coming down to lunch?) So the principal now has it out for me.
My principal came and told me that from now on I should be strictly business, not pleasure, and that I should leave my socializing for after school.
I told my principal that it was a reasonable request, (although I still think it's absolute garbage,) but I had one problem with it.
I told her that there was no reason the morning principal had to go over to her. The way I see it, she should've come over to me. If she's the one supervising the entire dining room when I'm there to watch my class, why wouldn't she come directly to me if she had a problem? I am a responsible, mature adult (although some would argue with that!) and I would've listened respectfully to whatever she had to tell me.
Why she felt she had to go behind my back, and go to the higher authorities before she even tried talking to me is beyond my comprehension. It doesn't matter though, I know now to steer clear of her, and it makes me feel better that on this blog I can call her a Scheming, Conniving, Pain in the Neck.
One more thing the principal threw at me before she left. There was a problem in the way I dressed.
Now, I'm a conservative dresser. I dress better than some of the other teachers in the school. She was referring to my wig that has a very natural, white part to it.
A month after I was hired to teach, the school board came out with new rules for the teacher, and wearing a white part was part of the list that was not accepted.
I discussed this last year, and told the school that for the amount of money I was getting paid, I couldn't even buy a new wig. I also told the school that these rules were not in effect when I signed my contract, and that were they part of the rules then, I may have opted no to teach there.
The principal met with the board, and the board ultimately decided that they'd make an exception in my case, because it was too late to hire a new teacher, and this rule was really extreme. Wearing a white part on a wig is really a personal decision, and it's between you and your husband ad what you feel is right.
I also made the principal aware that were I to come home and start telling my husband about these rules, there would be no way in the world he would let me go teach. He thinks it's a waste of time as it is, for this money and the effort I put in, and if I'd have to change my entire lifestyle to revolve around $6,000, he would not stand for it.
Thankfully, the board understood, and although they weren't happy with it, they let me wear my white part.
So back to today, the principal got a comment that I wear a white part.
She defended me by saying that this was the only way I would come teach, and that she had arranged it with the board. But she warned me that it wasn't over. She told right there in my classroom that if an influential person in the school decided to get involved, I would be hearing lots more about this issue. (I'm actually kind of looking forward to the challenge, I have such a big mouth and I sure do love to use it!)
She walked out of the class leaving me feeling really upset and angry. I wrapped up the lesson as best as I could and counted the seconds for the bell to ring.
Boy, did I instigate that teacher's room!!
I already mentioned that these teacher's are terrified of the authority in the school, and I was, and still am determined to change that.
I went on about my dumb hairpiece for quite a while, and I got the whole teacher's room steaming.
I waited until they were in the middle of a heated argument, and then I made my quiet exit.
Well, not really, the teachers were all sypathetic, but they went with the attitude of, "Well what can we do?"
(Repeat after me...)
I refuse to let myself be intimidated by this school. I am not going to be turned into some mindless teacher who just does what she's told. I'm better than that!
I am by nature an extremely sensitive person. I think that's starting to change. Usually I would've bust into tears as soon as the principal left my classroom. It's a couple of hours later now, and I still am as apathetic as before. I really do not care what this school thinks of me. I'm doing this for myself and for my students.
A white part on my wig will not make a difference to the type of teacher I am.
I am trying to be the best I can be, and I can't let something like comments about my natural looking part stop me.
My husband just wishes he would see this side of me more often. Maybe being a teacher is a good thing, huh?

No comments: