Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Ooooooh! I'm not happy!

I'm not happy.
My kids in 7a are just not participating. I cannot stand there and beg them to raise their hands. I have no idea what they know, because they never raise their hands by oral review. And during class, I have no idea if they even understand what I'm saying, because they never raise their hands to ask questions. It is so boring to just listen to myself talk all day! I need some distractions, I need participation. It's bad enough that I'm bored of my own voice, but these kids are giving me the impression that they're bored of me too. Help.
I also gave a map quiz/mini test today, and the students were such babies! Whatever the school believes, I believe that these girls are just not mature. They had 15 minutes to complete a map of the united states, and when I collected the papers after 25 minutes (I was being nice) the girls began complaining and some even burst into tears.
I have never ever seen this before. When a test is over, it's over. There is no such thing as giving a test in late, and there's no such thing as going past the allotted time. I'm more than just annoyed. But these girls will learn. I refuse to give into their immaturity. A test is only as long as I say it is.
My father thinks I like this job because I'm a control freak. That's completely untrue. I'm pretty laid back, but when it comes to responsibility and maturity, there are no excuses. Something will have to be done.
Another anooying experience I had today: the principal came in to observe my class. I was totally caught off guard, the girls were cranky, and I was already counting down the minutes for the bell to ring whe she came in. She stood facing me in the back of the room, didn't say anything, and basically sat on my nerves. She'll comment sooner or later on how she found my lesson...
On the bright side though, I gave my LD girl her binder, and I have never seen her so happy. She even came over to me at the end of the day to ask me which questions to do for homework. I'm thrilled about that. I hope this thing will really work. My student seems very excited though. Her dream is to become a regular seventh grader, and she seems willing to make the commitment to at least try.
My co and I switched some seats today. We heard some complaints, but it's working out nicely.
But you know, as frustrated as I sometimes get, I sure do love this job.

No comments: