Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Experience Shmexperience

During class today, I got called out by the principal.
First of al the good part. I got paid for the full month of October. I received the grand sum of $534.10. That's the only exciting part.
Then, as I was about to go back into my rowdy class, the principal confronted me by asking if I had ever told a student it was her fault for not knowing something when it was me who had made the mistake.
Now this was absurd. I am always the first to admit I made a mistake, and that the principal should have to coma and ask me was pretty weird.
So I tried to be diplomatic and I told the principal that I didn't remember such an incident. The principal looked me up and down and said, "Well the reason I'm asking is because we had a parent call the school to complain about you."
My heart went into my toes, as the principal suggested I see her after school to discuss how I could work on myself to be less abrasive to my students.
I gave her a dirty look and told her I'd see her after school.
And after school I made sure to go over to her. But I did that on my own terms.
I went in to her and without waiting for her to start, I started talking to her about a bunch of kids I was having a problem with. F.G. C.K. L.O. and a couple of others. When I mentioned L.O, her eyes lit up and she asked, "Oh, tell me about her!"
So I knew now what I had guessed all along, it was L.O.'s mother who called.
L.O. is a great girl, but she definitely got on my nerves lately. For example, yesterday, I was making a very strong point to the class in literature, and the girls were all sitting quietly just listening, It was self understood that this was not the time to ask questions or even write notes. I wanted them all to listen, and they were. Except for L.O. of course, She kept raising her hand noisily, and I could see that besides for making me annoyed, the class was bothered my her too.
Now, this is the season where everyone is getting sick, and I had a number of girls who weren't feeling well, so I figured L.O. needed something urgently. So I called on her.
I was ready to slap her when she calmly asked, "What's the date today?"
I totally gave it to her, I was so mad. And she does this often. Sometimes, she'll be so busy raising her hand with a question, she won't realize that I'm already answering her question. When that happens I refuse to repeat myself and I tell her it's her own fault she missed what I said. That's why I figured it was her mother that called.
I also know that L.O. is extremely sensitive and I heard her mother is too. That would explain her mother believing this twisted story.
Well anyway, I made the principal see my side of the story. And when she finally agreed with me, I asked her if she would call back the mother who complained to tell her that it was her daughter who was the problem, not me.
The principal said she saw no reason to call her, because this mother was already made happy.
Now I got really upset, and I shot back at her, "Well that mother is happy at my expense! And you know what happens now? That girl was told by her mother that she is right, and I was told the same thing by you! That means that this girl will continue doing what she's doing wrong, and I will continue doing what I do, and it's a cycle that will keep repeating itself. I guarantee that this won't be the last phone call you'll get from her."
The principal tried telling me something about her years of experience, but I cut her off. "I cannot turn into the person you want your teachers to be based on your experience. History keeps repeating itself because people don't learn form each other's mistakes. Don't try to fight the system. I will not learn from your mistakes, I have to make my own. And if that means talking to angry parents, so be it.
Don't try to protect me from those parents, because if I was right, I will defend myself all the way. And if I was wrong, I will be the first to say so. There is no reason you should be talking to the parents instead of me. You weren't there during that situation, you have no idea what I was thinking, and you don't know if it really even happened. Do me a favor, and let me fight my own battles. When a mother calls, give her my number, I will gladly talk to her."
The principal was more than a little shocked, but I continued to tell her that this was coming from all the teachers. I went on to tell her a little more, and then I picked up my stuff and walked out.
I don't think this will change a thing, but at least I got to yell at someone.

No comments: