Monday, January 09, 2006

Index Cards Day!

I think I like only two things about Mondays. The first is that I get the index cards from my students, and the second is that the day ends at 4:15. LOL
Today I had a busy, rushed day. We're not having school tomorrow because of Asara B'Teves, so I really wanted to cram things in as fast as I could.
I tried explaining this biography project to the girls, but it was way over their heads. I knew it would be. I'm totally overwhelmed and even more annoyed. I can't keep stuffing these projects and writings down my students' throats. Even the syllabus didn't work.
I thought I had written it down so clearly but it seems that the girls wither need it on a second grade level or that they're just huge kvetches.
Whatever the case may be, they're definitely pushing my nerves to the limit.
To make things worse, the principal still told me that she had to talk to me about putting on this Wax Museum with the students. To tell you the truth, I don't think they need it, they're already having this major science presentation this Thursday in front of the school. And besides, I don't think I can handle this now.
I'm already way behind in my curriculum and a Wax Museum is the last thing I need right now.
I really would love to do something special with the girls. I was a headcounselor this summer, I love this stuff. But when I'm put under pressure to do this, all of a sudden, it's not something I want to do anymore.
I went into this job because I believed in it. I didn't do it for the money, but looking back, I didn't realize it would be this pressuring. I speak to some of my other friends who teach, they don't have it so hard. I guess this school didn't get it's reputation for nothing. Like I said, I went into this job because I believed in it, not because I wanted a nervous breakdown.
The girls were nuts today. H.W. was so fresh, I was really put out by her. I was teaching about John Adams, and she kept calling out to ask why I didn't teach about her father. I put up with her for a bit, but after a while it got really out of line. I told her that when I wanted to know about her father I would ask her.
F.G. also said something that made me give her a look. I don't remember exactly what the exchange was, but I asked her some sort of rhetorical question, and she still ha the nerve to give me an answer. I gave it to her too.
Today could maybe be considered excusable because of there being no school tomorrow. But H.W.'s and F.G.'s mothers will get calls if any of them put a toe out of line.
C.O.'s index card was interesting, it was a continuation of last weeks card. She wrote that she was embarrassed to come over to me.
I gave her an index card that explained to her that we needed to get this sorted out, and if she was shy to come over to me she could always continue to write to me on her index cards.
The one thing that made my day was M.R.'s index card. She wrote,
I love everything you wear, you always looks so good. I also love everything you say, it's so interesting, and I really love you.
It's the small things like these that make teaching worth it.
I stayed late in school to discuss some things with my co, and when we came down tot he teacher's room we found that the door to the room had been replaced. I have no idea what was wrong with the old doors, but the school is busy replacing all of them.
Our door was built with a window so that you could look straight in, and that annoyed the teachers. When we retreat to the teachers room we want privacy. The students are always knocking at the door and trying to call the teachers out and it annoys us to bits.
I got a piece of construction paper and made a sign to cover the window that said, "Think Before You Knock! Thank-You, Your Teachers.
My co and I were laughing about it when the 6th grade teacher walked in and started telling me off about how babyish it was that I was just playing along with the students.
Off all people, she's the one who's always running out to her 8th and 6th grade students who crush her and she thrives on the love she gets from them. And she's accusing me of playing along with them. Of all people.
I'm so glad she's getting married and leaving school next week. I hate being made to feel like I'm one of her students.