Sunday, January 08, 2006

Problems...

Sunday again.
Believe it or not, I'm actually starting to get used to this schedule.
So, back to all my "problems."
First matter of business, S.G.L. was chewing gum when I walked into class. She's trying me again. I looked her up and down and told her, "This is second term, we're starting all over again. This is your first and last warning for this term. You will spit out that gum now, and if I ever catch you with gum again, you will not be allowed to keep sitting in this classroom."
S.G.L. spit out the gum and looked down, blushing and angry.
What is the dear child thinking???
I'm trying to be nice to her. I give her extra time, special notes, all the attention I am able to give her, and then she keeps taking advantage by chewing gum in my class?!? What in heavens name is going on here?
I feel like I have to walk on eggshells. On the one hand, this kid head a real situation, and she's being dealt with. But on the other hand, she's still breaking rules and taking advantage of the help her teachers are trying to give her.
D.T. gave me a problem today as well.
She's a very smart girl, but I have a feeling that she's not that mature. She has the highest average in the grade, but by her actions, I can see why she didn't skip a class.
Today, I offered the girls extra credit, a plus two for whomever remembered a certain name we had mentioned earlier in the year.
T.K. in 7a was trying so hard, she was searching her notes frantically to find what she was looking for, and I was excited to be able to give her the extra credit, but then D.T. called out with the name.
D.T. is the last girl who needs the credit, and I really didn't want to give it to her, especially since she had called out.
I had to give it to her, because I can't punish a student for being smart, but it bothered me.
D.T. has one friend in the grade. E.F.G. They are both very smart girls who always feel they have to show me how much they know.
The truth is, teachers like those students in the beginning, but then they get to be show offs, and after a while, we can't stand them.
The other students are intimidated by these two girls. They're really very nice kids, but when it comes to giving answers and showing what they know, they can get pushy. The other girls in their classes don't like competing with them.
Usually this is something I would ignore and not make a big deal of. I mean, there's usually one of these in every class. The problem is, E.F.G. is going to be switching in to the other class to take G.S.'s place.
I'm dreading having both D.T. and E.F.G. in the same class. I hope it turns out well.
On a brighter note, B.E.D. raised her hand today in class and said a pretty funny story. I actually heard her voice and I saw her laugh.
I called her mother to tell her how well her daughter was doing. I don't know what happened, but B.E.D. is changing. The teachers are all thrilled!
I tried calling T.K.'s (in 7b) mother but there was no answer. I really need to find out what's going on with the kid. She's so frustrated and angry lately, I have to get to the bottom of this before we have another "case" on our hands!