Monday, February 27, 2006

A Meeting With S.G.L.

I had arranged with the principal to meet with her and S.G.L. on Monday after school. I had completely forgotten about the whole thing by the time I came to school today, but it appears that the principal must've forgotten too. She didn't show up to school.
The principal, it seems, had important meetings to attend in Manhattan, and it seems she forgot to tell me about them.
In any case, I was reminded about the meeting by my co, (who tutors S.G.L. by the way,) and I made up my mind to meet with her anyway.
I spoke to S.G.L. and I told her that the principal wasn't there, but S.G.L. still wanted to meet with me.
We arranged to meet after school in an empty classroom.
I spoke with her for an hour.
She didn't really volunteer too much information, but I learned that if I kept quiet, she felt forced to say something.
I'm not used to staying quiet that long, but I managed, and she spoke.
Basically, she thinks I hate her.
She says that I treat her differently, but "she can tell" that I don't like her.
I asked her what she did that would make me dislike her, and she said it was because she didn't do things well.
I tried to explain to her that she was pretty much mistaken, because I happened to like her very much. I have a friend's wedding tonight and it starts early. I told her that I was missing part of my friend's wedding to sit and talk to her. I asked her, "Do you think I would do that for a student I didn't care about?"
Of course, she had no answer.
I told her that just because I don't approve of all the things she did, it didn't mean I don't accept her for whom she is.
"Will a mother hate a child for flushing her makeup down the toilet? She might be angry with him, but never hate him."
S.G.L. said that a mother was different.
I told her that I could keep telling her how I didn't dislike her for the next two years, but I couldn't force her to change her mind. If she wanted to believe that I hated her, nothing was going to stop her. I was sad that she felt this way, but I told her that it was her decision.
And then I brought up the topic of her skipping my class.
I asked her, "And let's say a teacher did hate you, what's so bad about sitting through her class? If she's not treating you differently, why would you cut her class?"
And S.G.L. answered, "Because it's not comfortable to sit in a class knowing that the teacher hates you."
And I answered, "S.G.L, it's not possible for someone to be liked by the entire world. I know I have students that don't like me as a teacher, or maybe they don't like me because of the way I look. Does that stop me from going into class? No matter what, I go into class to teach, whether the students all like me or not.
"Your job in the classroom is to learn. Whether you feel the teacher likes you or not. Cutting class is not an option. And don't blame it on the way you think teachers feel about you, especially, when most of the time, you're only guessing. It is impossible for you to really know what other people are thinking, and trying to analyze every little move they make is insanity."
She didn't comment, and we went on to discuss other issues.
The issue with me embarrassing her by giving her an easy test in a way that everyone noticed was brought up. Of course, it was another incident of the principal twisting reality.
I don't call it lying because it's not possible for a principal to lie. They just stretch the truth.
She stretched the truth in this case. S.G.L. was upset because the special tests I gave her had a different font on it, and she claimed the other girls noticed.
I was so annoyed.
The font is the easiest thing for me to change! Instead of taking it to the principal and making a big deal, she could've just told me. But no, life can never go that easy.
Another thing we arranged was for me to prepare some questions for her to answer in class. Before class every day I aim to give her a paper with two or three questions and their answers, so that she can participate in class.
I don't remember everything we spoke about in one hour, but at the end, she still said that she felt I hated her.
I told her that she was entitled to her feelings, but that didn't stop us from accomplishing some of the things we set out to do.
Hey you can't please everyone all the time.....especially when they're not looking to be pleased.
I know when the principal finds out that we had this meeting without her she'll be hitting the roof, but you know what? She'll hit the roof no matter what I do.
At this point, bang your head against the wall as many times as you want, I can only deal with you up to a certain point.

No comments: