Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Stomach Breathing?

My voice is gone, my neck is stiff, it hurts to breathe, much more to move, but who's complaining? I was so busy this morning, I didn't have time to worry about how bad I was feeling.
I was a little concerned about how I would control a class without a voice, but it didn't turn out too badly.
7b was annoying, as they have been lately, but we got what we needed to done. In 7a, not on;y did we get done, we had a good time as well.
I had told them a long funny story about how I once lost my glasses because M.R. was wearing her glasses after "losing" them for a year.
Today, they were expecting no less than a smashing hit of a tale. It also happened to be that today is rosh chodesh Adar. This is the month that everyone gets hyper and excited, and students, (and teachers alike,) are known to have pulled some wildly funny pranks.
Well, I didn't start with a tale, but I did comment on the girls' voices, which were also going. We began talking about professionals who breath from their abdomens so as not to strain their vocal cords.
Some of the girls were confused as to what I meant, so I had all the girls place one hand on their chest and one hand on their abdomen, and we breathed together.
Most girls felt they were breathing from their chests. We practiced a couple of times until most of the girls got their stomachs to move instead.
The class was in stitches. S.J. was especially hyper about the whole thing.
So then we got back to history, and I tried to review. I was interrupted about 10 times, but it was fun. S.G.L. actually raised her hand to answer a question I had prepared for her. She made a little bit of a joke out of it, by reading straight off her paper, but I was happy that she made the effort.
I promised the girls that if we finished history on time I'd give them a preview of the history song I was planning to teach them tomorrow.
I had stayed up until 2 am last night to make it up, and I had already given it in to be approved by the principal, but I didn't have copies to hand out to them yet.
I sang the song for them, I sounded horrid because of my voice, (or lack of it,) but the girls had a good time.
We moved onto the picture books and I showed them a picture book my sister had done in third grade. In the other class I had skipped a few pictures because I was in them, but in this class, they got to see them.
It was no big deal really, there were a few pictures of my wedding there, and the girls actually were very mature about it. I was impressed.
While the girls began writing, I noticed that a couple of them were dragging out silly details and putting the main idea of the story on the last page.
This is where my tall tale came in.
I told them a great but stupid story that illustrated what they were doing.
My brother had told me this story last week, and I thought it would be perfect.
It was about this boy who was running to school and on the way some palm trees began talking to him. They said something that sounded like "Whoooosh-eeeeee." Basically, he comes late to school, and when he tells his teacher what the trees told him she slaps him and kicks him out of class. When the principal asked him why he was out of class and he repeated the story and said the word "Whoooosh-eeeeee", he gets another slap and gets suspended.
His parents hit him when he says the word too, and they ground him as well.
After a week he goes back to school and meets some friends on the way. They were curious to know why he was suspended and he said that he was afraid to tell them because they'd beat him up. But they convinced him and he said it, and of course, they hit him.
Running away from his friends, he found himself near the palm trees again. All of a sudden, the palm trees began speaking to him.
Startled, the boy ran away from the trees, across a busy street, and his was hit by a car and was killed.
Now what is the moral of the story?
***Always look both ways before crossing the street. Because the boy didn't look, he was killed.
My class got the picture.
And as for Whooooosh-eeee? When I asked my brother what it meant, he just told me,"I have no idea, but it sure kept you interested!"
I chased him around the table for an hour.
I called F.F.'s mother and B.E.D.'s mother tonight. They both didn't make it to P.T.A. and requested I call them.
I had long conversations with each of them, and they both brought up things about the principal. It's not only me who dislikes her.
I found out two things at then end of the say that mad emy life considerably worse. The first is that the principal wanted to talk to me. I found that out from my co who saw it written on her to-do list. The second is that Project Y.E.S. is cancelled. My principal seems to think that our school doesn't need this program.
Right, because she's perfect. She can handle everything.
One problem.....we can't handle it all! (We don't think she can handle it either, but whatever.)
I'll deal with this issue later.
I got home from school at 7 pm. I was invited to the high school Adar Chagiga, and I went. I came in costume, and the girls got a kick out of it, but I was slightly embarrassed. I stayed for a while, watched them play a game, heard a speech, spoke to some teachers and left.
I'm glad that's over with.
I have a load of things to do now, and I have a feeling I'm not going to make it to bed before 2 at least. Welcome to my life.

No comments: