Monday, May 22, 2006

More Nonsense

Ok, nonsense is probably too light of a word for what I went through today.
Let me start form last night. I was asked to give a workshop to the high school on Tuesday, and I spent all of last night worrying and obsessing about it. (And I'm the one who teaches public speaking.) I even woke up early this morning to type an outline of the points I'd be covering in my slot.
I spent all day horridly nervous, and driving my friends up the wall, begging them for suggestions and pointers. Turns out, I won't be giving the workshop after all.
I was called down to the high school principal's office after school and she told me that she was afraid to put me up in front of a class to do a workshop because she was not sure how my points would hit some of the girls. The twelfth graders were dying for me to talk about my having been sick, and she was afraid of parents calling the school to complain about my exposing the kids to "those kinds of people."
It's a good thing I'm so full of myself. Otherwise I'd be so offended at that.
I happen to be very cool about my having had cancer, but I hate it when people treat me like a contagious disease. Funny thing, my workshop was actually going to be about treating other people like equals.
That was one part of the nonsense in my day.
My principal wasn't in school today, but she still managed to ruin my day. I had handed in 8 sheets of paper to be approved by her for the newspaper. Today, 6 of them were handed back to me. She wasn't in school to tell me what was wrong with them, she had just made an "X" over the entire pile.
I spent three hours so far tonight just typing and searching for replacement articles. And I'm nowhere near done.
Third thing today that has me annoyed my co having renewed her contract. It's not that I'm upset with her, it's just that she isn't happy herself. I don't care what she does, I just want her to be happy, and if she isn't, well that makes me feel kinda stuck.
In addition to my whole day, my husband is just making me feel like a sucker for still working on this paper. I'm not getting paid for it and the principal doesn't respect my time and energy, and he can't begin to imagine what I'm thinking.
Truth is, neither can I.

No comments: