Wednesday, May 03, 2006

My Fault Again

I was so dreading giving this test today. It was on two chapters in history and I knew the girls were going to give me a hard time wit hit.
Hard time was not the word.
First, they made me shut the lights. There is something wrong with the lights in our class that makes them buzz. During a test, when it's quiet, the kids notice it more and they claim they can't concentrate with it on.
Problem is, there are always some girls who will object to closing the lights. Namely, F.G. She can be such a brat about it too. The class was pretty light even without the lights though. We had plenty of sunshine from the 3 windows.
Of course, just to antagonize the rest of the class, L.K. and T.K. closed the shades. I was not happy.
Finally, I got them to shut up long enough so that I could give out the tests.
I promised them that should I need to, I would give minuses.
That didn't stop L.K. from looking around the classroom to talk to smile at R.H. I looked up, and promptly told her to put a minus two on top of her paper.
L.K. still wanted to know why. I told the class that if any girl gave me even the slightest reason to believe that she was doing anything other than taking her test, I would not hesitate to take points off.
L.K. scowled, folded her arms, and refused to fill in another word for the rest of the test. I believe that when I marked her she got a 40....and that's without taking 2 points off in the end!
L.K. sat for the rest of the period just staring at me. She was trying to get me nervous. LOL As if!
T.K. did get me nervous though. She came up to my desk, as usual, with an empty paper, expecting me to give her all the answers. I played it very cool and got on her nerves that way. She sat back down very frustrated.
C.K. did the same thing with me. I did the same thing to her.
One by one, I had frustrated girls coming up to my desk. I kept calm and tried helping the girls, but I couldn't really answer most of the questions for them without it being considered that I gave them the answers.
R.S. was the first to give in her test. She made a huge show of it, claiming that she was going to fail because she hadn't written an essay. (Worth 20 points.) She had written "Fail" on top of her paper, and seemed very worked up for the rest of the period.
Since she had come back to school, she's been acting very strange. My guess, and my co's is that she was put on meds and it hasn't taken effect yet.
Whatever the case was, I was scared to set her off.
The recess bell rang and I had all the girls who had finished the test leave the classroom. R.S. refused to leave, sitting instead at her desk and talking loudly. I repeated my request to her numerous times, and she grew more frustrated each time. But she did leave in the end.
T.K. and C.K, refused to hand in their tests. L.K. refused to even talk to me.
I looked sharply at L.K. and asked her if she was ok with giving in her test now. She stared back at me and said that she wasn't. I told her that I wasn't giving her a choice. She refused to come up to my desk, But when I counted to three, as if she were in nursery, she came up and slammed it onto the pile.
I had T.K. and C.K. hand in their tests even though they had not finished.
I met the principal in the hallway, she wanted to talk to me. I asked her if I could talk to her first.
I told her that I couldn't handle the 7b class anymore, and I warned her that L.K's mother would be calling. I told her that I was planning to call every mother in that class. I was so annoyed.
Then, the principal told me what she wanted to talk to me about.
She was angry at me for having told the girls anything about the "million" thingy. She said that it was not my business to teach the girls about the holocaust and to give them a project on it was totally out of line.
I was furious. I tried explaining to her that this was not a project and that I was even against the entire thing. I had not promised them anything if they completed it. I was so upset at the situation. In the past 4 days all the teachers had confiscated some millions and we were peeved at the girls who kept trying to do it in middle of class. And now the principal had the nerve to blame it all on me.
I told her that is was not my fault the class was so stupid. She told me that I should've knows what kind of a class I was dealing with by now and been more careful.
She said that she had mothers calling her up to complain that their daughters had been up until 3 am writing millions.
I am so annoyed!! It's always my fault. I so need to get out of there.
The second class was amazing. They were quiet and calm as they took the test, and hardly had any questions. I managed to mark the other class' test during the class, and after class they all piled in to see what they had gotten.
T.K. had the nerve to ask for more time to finish her test, and even though she had gotten in the 80's I told her yes. I have no idea why. I told the same to C.K. She had failed.
R.S. had failed miserably, but I told her I was proud of her for trying even though she hadn't been in school all week. I gave her the option of taking it over Sunday. She has to tell me by tomorrow what her decision is.
I stayed late to finish marking the 7a tests, and many girls stayed with me to get their marks. I'm happy with this test. I feel that it challenged the girls on their level. Most of my marks were in the high 80's and low nineties. I feel that's where they should be.
My co called me that she wasn't feeling well and that she was taking off tomorrow. I guess I'm stuck subbing 32 spring feverish kids. And then 12th grade too!

No comments: