Thursday, May 25, 2006

Pink Skirts

I have this thing about my pink skirt. I think I've noticed a pattern in the events that take place when I wear it. Whenever I wear my short pink pleated skirt (from the GAP) I have a great day.
I wasn't going to wear it at all. I was going to wear a black skirt and black top and a long white sweater over it, but then my neighbor, B.F. came over, and convinced me to wear my tan shoes today.
Problem is, you can't wear tan shoes with a black skirt and top, so B.F. told me to wear my pink skirt. Along with the skirt, I had to change my top to a white one, and then she let me put the white knit sweater over it all.
Of course the pink lipstick was a given and we made my cheeks even pinker than usual, and then I was sent off to school looking like a fourth grader.
The first nice part to my day was that the principal was still not here. (I feel bad for her; her mother is sick, but it's good on my end.)
Also, the eighth grade wasn't here either. They went on their graduation trip. This meant that the school was dead quiet, and my kids were the oldest here today.
The secretary went along on the trip, and that was one less person to look over our shoulders for.
The classes each managed to finish two aims in history, (and I think I'm going to take off on Monday, cuz I'm ahead of schedule...for once,) and they both worked on their editorials.
I ate ices while doing roof duty today, and then excused my way out of playing ball with my students based on my white top. I refused to get it dirty.
I'm never really a ditz like that, but it was as good an excuse as any.
G.S. and H.W. both teamed up to work on a goodbye party for M.L. who is moving to Israel this summer. I told them that it was a great idea, but that they had to talk to the principal first. They're so busy with this. I'm happy. I heard G.S. has a soft spot for the weaker, quieter girls like M.L. (this is the one in 7b, the one in 7a is G.O.) and it's nice to see it.
In the middle of one of my lessons, I was given a message that twelfth grade was cancelled. I was excited although it was my last day teaching them and I wanted to have one last time with them. But all the same, it made my day.
S.G.L. was back in school today. I can't figure her out, and the truth is, my co is already involved, so I'm not going to put myself in the middle of it all. Especially because I'll be leaving the school and past June I won't be able to help S.G.L. anymore. My co is staying and she can keep tabs on S.G.L. next year, so if she's involved, I know S.G.L. is in good hands.
I was ready to go home, excited about my free afternoon, when I got a message that twelfth grade was on.
The principal told me that if I had a problem keeping them under control I could just dismiss them early.
It didn't happen. Somehow the girls got onto the topic of my having been sick and they peppered me with questions.
I knew that the school didn't really want this, but the girls weren't giving up, and I answered all their questions.
The bell rang at five and nobody moved. I had to leave eventually, but I only walked out of that class at a quarter to six.
I had an amazing time. I never had the class as attentive as this before. They were so involved, they stayed 45 minutes late just to hear me. I'm so bowled over.
I know I'll probably hear it from the school, but right now I don't care. I'm so overwhelmed. It's a shame that the most interesting lesson I gave them all year was on the last day they had me.
Oh well. I had a great day.
Must've been my pink skirt. Thanks B.F.

No comments: