Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Used and Confused

It was raining this morning and it seemed everyone was in a bad mood. Myself...not so much. I didn't have a chance to eat breakfast at home so I took a Dixie cup along to school.
While I was eating, the other teachers were inspired and they decided to send me out to go buy and ice cream cake for a teacher who just came back after having a baby.
We went out in the rain to get her an ice cream cake, and guess who we met walking down the block? The teacher we were supposed to be surprising. She asked us where we were going in the rain. I showed off my fantastic acting skills by lying through my teeth, and we walked off laughing.
I came back to school to hear that I wouldn’t be teaching today either. Because of their cancelled trip, the grades were being showed some films.
I was asked to go get my laptop because the school's wasn't performing well. I brought it, but in the end it wasn't needed. I did consider using it to blog while my students were watching the film, but the school has no wireless internet.
So I was pretty much bored all day.
I ate ice cream in the teacher's room three times and totally made myself sick in the process. (I'm lactose intolerant, but I keep forgetting.)
Then, the eighth grade asked if they could use my laptop for the film they were supposed to see. I almost went into cardiac arrest just thinking of the idea, but I set it up for them and let them watch it while I supervised.
I got some day camp stuff done there, but mainly I kept looking at my watch, waiting for school to end.
I feel so used. I was in school for the past three days and I didn't teach a stitch. I'm being used. I saw the hogh school girls come back from their trip and they looked so happy, and they said they had a great time. But I had to stay in school to babysit. I'm not a happy camper.
One of the teachers got married tonight and I drove my co over to the hall. She told me that after school she spoke to the principal about her job for next year.
It turns out my new school wants to offer the job to her and they're just waiting for my principal to call them back.
My principal is more than just a little furious that my co is considering leaving to another elementary school. My co told her it was the pay that appealed to her. The principal said she'd try to match it. (Ok, not match, but give her something close.)
At this point my co is confused.
She isn't looking to run away from the chassidishe school like I am, she's even a little afraid of going to a school like this. She's afraid of not belonging, and not being happy in the school. She's looking for a permanent job; she doesn't want to take the risk of changing schools and then wanting to change again.
Transportation is also an issue. As long as I'm there I can drive her, but what happens later? I told her not to worry; somehow the teachers in that school always seem to manage.
My co claims that all she's looking for in a new job is pay. And if our school is offering it to her, why should she leave. I'm trying to tell her that the atmosphere is so much better in the new school, but she’s still unsure.
If this weren't an anonymous blog, I'd give you all my email address so that you can email me your opinions on what my co should be doing. She does have some legitimate points. Those of you who'd like to post comments, feel free.
One last thing before I go.
I was walking out of a second wedding tonight and I was stopped by two girls I don't know. They knew me though, and they came over to ask me if they could join our "million" contest. They said that the contest was spreading all over town. Girls and boys in other schools were writing millions all day for my class.
I am on so much trouble. The girls told me they heard I would give my class a free final if they completed a million. I told them that it wasn't I don't know who starts these rumors. The girls said that the entire community was up with writing millions for me.
I don't know if I should be touched or annoyed. My students sure know how to take things too far. I spoke to them about this already. Twice. I told them that I did not approve of the contest and that I wouldn't give them anything for it either.
But they keep going. They think it's funny, but I get in trouble from the principal and now of she hears that the town is up with this, I'm going to get kicked out of that building headfirst.
My husband thinks this whole thing is really funny, but I'm a little worried. What am I going to do with these kids? N.Y.F. actually had a great answer to that question. I'm going to put it in just because N.Y.F. thinks I won't. The answer N.Y.F. gave is I.D.G.A.S.
I have only one word. Whatev.

No comments: