Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Whistles

My open notes test on chapter 13 in history was today. I had made an announcement that I would not be answering any questions being that it was an open notes test. It was a dream come true.
I sat in my chair doing nothing most of the day, watching my kids work.
I only gave them an hour for the test and for the next half hour we were going to do our editorials. Both classes didn't let me get past my introduction to the lesson.
In 7b we ended up having a heated discussion about people with cancer. The girls are so fascinated by the topic, and they were actually quiet when I spoke today. I think it's the first time I had a class so into my lesson.
I'm not going to kid myself, I know my students know I had cancer. They'll never say it to my face, but they're all hoping that one day I'll tell them what it was like.
They can forget about that, but I don't mind talking about cancer in general.
The 7a class also got stuck on the topic of asking other people for their opinions. I stood up on a chair and declared that I was the king of the world. The girls laughed. M.R. wanted to know who had made me king. I explained to the girls that one person's opinion was like me saying I was king of the world. A good newspaper and a good editorial should have research done before it gets published.
The principal then came in to hand out whistles. The community had decided that all schoolgirls were going to get whistles on a keychain to hang from their collars so that if they were being attacked, they could blow the whistles for help.
This rapist in town is causing everyone to lose their minds.
What are they thinking? If I were an attacker, the first thing I would do when grabbing someone is cover their mouth. I don't know about you, but I haven't yet mastered the art of blowing a whistle through my ears.
Also, why would I be using my hands to get to the whistle? I'd probably be kicking and punching...That is, unless my attacker had pinned my arms first.
Whoever came up with this whistle idea should be shot. It's beyond me how this idea could make any sense.
In my opinion, every school should institute an hour a week of martial arts. Cut gym and cut scrapbooking , and cut computer class, and teach them to defend themselves.
Sometimes I can't believe I was actually raised in a school system like this one.

No comments: