Monday, June 12, 2006

Final

I was pretty confident today because I was giving my history final. I already told the girls I would not be accepting any questions, and I thought the test would take up all of my day.
Turns out the test didn't take more than an hour and a half. That meant that the entire after recess session was still going to be normal. Because I had promised the girls a break, I figured I could just take them up to the roof.
While there, I marked the tests. Usually, the girls hang around asking me for their marks, and then they get pushy and they keep shoving their papers under my nose for me to mark them first.
Today I told them that no one was getting their marks until I had finished marking the entire grade.
Of course, F.G., R.S., and R.H. still came over to ask me their marks. I gave them really sharp looks and they had the grace to walk away.
The grade did well in general. I haven't figured out the average yet, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
I'm still waiting for a couple of test marks. M.L. didn't bother to study, and now I have to figure out what to do with her test. R.R. took her test at home and I need to wait to get it back form her. S.G.L. sat with the test all day and didn't bother to fill in a single answer. She gave me an index card asking me to take it tomorrow. I am ready to kill. T.K. and S.F.F. will take it tomorrow too. F.F. needs to print her essay out from the computer, but the school's printer won't be fixed until tomorrow. She had to type her essay because her finger is in a splint and she can't write. I feel like a cloth with a bunch of loose threads.
The kids were so wild on the roof, and half of them kept running down. Finally, I finished marking tests and took them all down to give them their marks.
I showed them all their marks, and gave back their index cards.
R.H. has been pestering me for ages for me to tell her where I'll be teaching next year. I have told her many times that I would not tell her until the last day of school because it was none of her business. Her index card today was more than a little chutzpadik. She wrote, "I know you're going to ________.What grade?"
I wrote back to her, "R.H. I told you that until the last day of school this is absolutely none of your business." I hope she gets insulted.
The secretary poked her head into my classroom to tell me off for taking the girls onto the roof without permission. I didn't even know I had to ask permission.
Then, the principal came in to tell me off too.
Any wonder the girls treat teachers this way? They see the principals doing it in front of the entire class, why shouldn't they do it too?
The principal really gave it to me, and I played cool and told her to back off. Seven days left to school, please get off my case. C.S.'s mother sent me a note today telling me thanks for calling last week. I wish I would've thought to wave that in the principal's face.
She claims I'm not a good, professional teacher. I told her that just because I don't suit her standards, didn't mean I'm not a good teacher. No matter what she thinks, or how unconventional my methods are, my students still gain and they love me for it. I wish she would let go of this childish jealousy she has. If it wasn't done her way, it wasn't done correctly. Oh ew.
The 7a class was so much more clam on the roof. They actually played a normal game together, and there was no fighting about teams or points. I was really impressed.
S.G.L. and C.O. were such babies today. I can't stand them together.
My co and I suspect that the only reason the principal gave her such a raise and ran after her to stay at the school was because she was going to leave with me. It wasn't the leaving part that bothered her, it was the leaving with me.
She has been meaner than ever to me since I said I was leaving. She's been doing it to the sixth grade teacher too. She needs to be straightened out. Seriously.
I saw a great DVD today about a teacher in Germany that taught an integrated class of 20 students. The students ranged from the gifted to the severely disabled. It was amazing. The classroom was run in such a great way; I was so impressed.
I know that my principal would love to see such a documentary, because this is the way she wants to run her classrooms. I also know that she could never in a million years get her hands on it. First of all, it is still in theaters and not yet on DVD, and second, it's from Germany-thanks to my German friend :). I would consider showing it to her, but I would rather just tell her about it, totally get her hyped up, and never give it to her.
I know it sounds lame, but I need ideas on how to go out with a bang. Comments please.
Oh, by the way, as I'm typing, S.G.L. called me to ask me to fax her some of my special notes. She's studying for my final now. She had better prove her worth tomorrow.

No comments: