Friday, September 15, 2006

Fridays are Fun

Waking up early and driving to school in the rain wasn't even so bad. I was tired, but I had time to wake up while the class davened.
We did a lot in writing, and then I gave the girls recess. During recess we had a great time. The girls were telling me about the extravagant weddings they'd been to, and they kept peppering me with questions about my life.
For some reason, they thought I had an accent and were convinced that I wasn't American. I played along with their game and refused to tell them where I was born.
They wanted to know what schools I went to, what camps, and how old I was. I told them that if I told them everything into he first week of school the rest of the year wouldn't be as interesting. They all groaned, but I got my way.
I had walked in with a starbucks coffee and the girls didn't even blink an eye. T.G. asked me if I ate cholov stam and I told her "yes." In my old school that was a bad thing. Here the kids were all like, "Ok, so do I."
I started teaching both classes the map of America in a song, and the kids all loved it. Truth is, I liked it too. It was so much fun, and no pressure at all.
When I went to take the seventh grade, the science teacher hadn't finished yet, but I walked in nonchalantly and asked if I could take the class. The girls and my co were all laughing.
In the seventh grade, I was teaching about spatial ordering, so I called up C.K. to the front and asked A.S. to describe her using spatial ordering from top to bottom. Then, I drew some pictures on the board and had some girls describe them too. That really got the point across to them and it was fun and easygoing.
B.B. had serious issues when it came to writing down the capitals of the states we were memorizing. I just don't know how to help her out in class.
N.N. gets on my nerves a bit. She knows a lot, always raising her hand, but she's always kissing up to me. I know I should feel flattered, but I honestly have better things to do after class than listen to her tell me about which episodes of "I Love Lucy" she liked best, and about how she crawled earlier than her baby sister.
But hey, I guess this is what it means to be a teacher with heart.
I came home at about one and I had enough time to make my whole Shabbos, and still do laundry and clean a little.
The only thing I didn't get to was my nails. The nail polish thing is going to my head. I must go get them redone after Shabbos!

No comments: