Sunday, September 17, 2006

Parents!

In the first week of school I got three messages to call parents.
I didn't get around to calling them the day I got the messages, so I called D.F.'s mother and F.E.'s mother on Thursday night, and I called C.S.S.'s mother tonight.
I used to think that mothers wanted to protect their daughters, but it seems that this has changed with the generation.
D.F.'s mother just wanted to talk about D.F.'s reading problem and that I should know that it was going to come up and that I would have to call her eventually during the year, so she figured she'd call me first.
She asked for easy notes straight off the bat; without even trying to see how her daughter would do to begin with.
F.E.'s mother was not so different. She went on and on about F.E.'s focus issues and how she thought she was ADD and that she had B.B. down her back to give her notes all the time and that she was afraid that F.E. would start spacing out and falling behind and that I should snap her into attention as soon as I noticed anything.
She wanted me to be more strict with her daughter from the start, hoping it would keep her more focused, but I felt that would just be mean. She also told me to call if she forgot her homework for even one day or something, so that she could be on top of it right away.
C.S.S.'s mother called for the sole reason that C.S.S. wouldn't focus because she had auditory issues, and she needed to be in the front...and away from B.B. who sat in front of her. Her father got on the phone and asked for special notes so that he could preteach her the material so that she'd come to class and not get distracted so much.
Her mother had an Australian accent, and it was cute to hear. LOL
She said that the Hebrew teacher refused to change C.S.S.'s seat, but I think that teacher is just being selfish for not wanting to take care of it right now. I told the mother that in the worst case I could have her switched for English only. She was so grateful.
I know that these parents were only trying to protect their daughters, but I can't help wondering if by telling me all this, they inadvertently made their daughters seem like bigger problems in my eyes. I know that F.E. did seem to have more focus issues on Friday after I spoke to her mother. Psychological, I guess.
I know when I went to school, my mother never called the teacher! In fact, she hoped she wouldn't hear from her all year. And if I had problems, my mother crossed her fingers and prayed for my teacher not to notice them. Here, the girls' problems are getting shoved into my face. LOL
I feel a little overwhelmed that I have so many disabled girls to deal with this year. I hope I can balance it all.
I spent time again this week on a beautiful plansheet. Last week's plans came back with a bunch of compliments on what I was teaching. It's so great to work in a school where you're appreciated!

No comments: