Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Harry Potter isn't a Dirty Word!

In 7th grade today, we were talking about different endings for books, and some girls began discusing Harry Potter. Because they started it, I pushed the discussion.
Later, I was talking about what a global age is, and I asked the girls if they knew what was caused us to have a global age today. All 17 hands went up and they all shouted, "The internet!" I was surprised.
When I spoke about it with the other teachers, they were all like, "Yeah, so what? Harry Potter and the internet is so not an issue here!"
Hee hee. In my old school those were dirty words.
The girls had a field day because I wore a shorter sheitel to school today, and they thought it was so funny. I had a good laugh too. I totally didn't care.
I gave a history quiz in each class, and marking them, I can't believe how dumb they are. I know I taught it well, because many girls got 10/10. But a nice percentage got 2's and 3's. There's a nice division between the smart girls and the dumb ones. LOL.
R.A. got a 10/10 but gave herself the comment of "pretty good." She's a teenager in a too smart for herself seventh grade body.
B.B. is coming here from a special school that claims she is ready to be mainstreamed. This kid cannot keep up with the pace in class, and I'm really starting to get frustrated because she's always like a page behind in notes. On the quiz today she got a 1/10. She marked herself as a 6, but when I rechecked her work, it turned out that she cheated. I mean, I hope she didn't cheat, and she just decided her answers were right, but they were very far off.
I need to talk to the principal about her. I can't bend over backwards for her if she's that far from keeping up with the class. Even S.S. who is intensely learning disabled, doesn't have as hard a time as her. Granted, she also failed the quiz, but in class, she generally can tell me a little of what's going on.
C.S.S. came over to me to request that her seat be changed away from B.B. because B.B. keeps turning around to copy her notes and it distracts her. C.S.S. herself needs help. She leaves twice a week for speech therapy or something.
I have no energy to deal with problem cases this year.

No comments: