Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11

No school Sunday was the best thing that happened to me all year. I had a crazy day as it was; school on top of it all would have been unmanageable.
In the morning my sister got engaged, so I was busy with that all day. The family was so excited and I had to be there to meet her chosson and his family and all his cousins and everything. Then, I had to run to a friend's wedding two hours away, and I didn't get back till 1:30 am.
I was up and out early this morning to an appointment and I barely made it back to drive the teachers to school on time.
We got to school with 5 minutes to spare, but I hadn't even begun planning my week. I called my husband to let him know that I had parked safely, (he gets kind of nervous if he thinks I'm scratching up his jeep) and I told him that I didn't know what to teach.
He was like, "C'mon, this school is so laid back. Why don't you teach history for a bit and then spend the rest of the time discussing September 11th?" -He's a genius.
8th grade had the most hysterical discussion today about the south and the north and if the south was right for seceding. Somehow we got to talking about sisters borrowing their stuff. It was really enjoyable.
I had to tell C.F.C. that she couldn't ask so many questions on a story that already happened. She was trying to dissect the minds of the Confederate and Union leaders. I finally gave up and admitted I didn't know all the answers and what ifs. I could only teach them what I know happened.
We then finished the entire chapter in history. I'm impressed with myself LOL.
Seventh grade was slightly slower, but I had time to read their index cards, and that was very enlightening. R.A. wanted me to call her my a different name. This is an excerpt of her card, "I have been dropping subtle hints to the class about what I would like to be called for three years now, but no one seems to have caught on. I have a feeling that if you would call me by the name I would like to be called, the class would laugh, so phooey on that idea. I think that it might be better to stick to calling me the way you do now."
I was plotzing. This kid totally thinks she is an adult. She tries volunteering information that just confuses the class, and I'll have to talk to her about it, but I'm not looking forward to doing that right now.
Our September 11 discussion went really well in both classes. The girls were in 2nd and 3rd grade when it happened, so they couldn't really remember all the details so well. I couldn't believe I actually had to teach them what happened that day!
On the way home from school, the first grade teacher was telling me that she had asked the kids if they knew what was significant about today. The girls had no clue. One brave girl finally rasied her hand and asked of Spetember 11 was special because that meant it was almost Chanukah. We all cracked up over that.
I'm dead zonked today, and I can't believe that I have another 4 days this week, (I teach on Friday this week) and I still have to do my plansheets and figure out my week!
But all in all, I'm really happy here.
I met a teacher from my last year's school. It was nice talking to her, but hearing how things are going there, I'm so happy I'm here!
I marked the girls' homeworks, and I'm annoyed to see that 4 kids forgot to put their names on their papers, and three just didn't hand them in at all. I must have a talk with the class.
I was told that N.N. is a good girl, but she's missing her homework for the second time....and it's only the third day of school! What am I gonna do with these kids? LOL

No comments: