Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Yearbook and Tests

The first matter of business today was getting the yearbook started. My sister came in and gave all the girls their jobs, and then we both explained to the class what each job entailed.
I got the girls all excited by telling them that they had something over the future grades. They were going to set the example for all the other grades when it came to yearbook. Also, because they were such a small grade, they would all contribute tons to the project. I explained that in the lower grades that were parallel classes, they would be too big for everyone to really do something.
Then, we put about 20 themes on the board so that the girls could choose. I came up with a theme earlier this morning that they ended up loving. Since they were the first graduating class and the first grade the school opened with, they chose the theme. "Echad Mi Yodea." The principals loved it, and we're excited to work with it.
I crammed in a load of history, and even managed to fit in a hysterical story about getting stopped in the airport in Israel. (Security thought my Jawbreakers were bombs. LOL)
I thought I would for sure come home with a splitting headache after the first test in 7th grade. Instead, I'm coming home thrilled. The girls all finished with at least 20 minutes to spare, and the class average was a 90%! Two or three girls got into he 70's and one in the 80's and then S.S. and C.S.S. failed, but I expected that. I have to call C.S.S.'s parents to arrange for special tests, and S.S's already expect it.
Believe it or not, B.B. got an 87. I needed to help her out a little and organize her paper, but she did it on her own. I'm shocked. I have to try and figure this kid out. Maybe I made the mistake of writing her off too quickly.
Anyway, I have a feeling that the class performed so well because I'm such a great teacher.
Ok, also because I think that they are very chilled out compared to my old school. Here the marks aren't such a pressure, so the girls are relaxed when they take the tests and that makes all the difference in the world.
Even the girls who got 70's were happy when I told them that it was a great mark for the first test of the year.
I feel so calm and relieved.
I spoke to the principal about ordering two or three books for me as read-alouds, and she was like, "Yeah, I'll order them now!"
This school is so cool.

No comments: