Friday, October 20, 2006

Yearbooks, Monograms, High Schools and a Meeting

Starting from yesterday.
My sister and I went over with the class every single page that we would put in this yearbook. We told them how many pages were allotted per group and what to do with the pages they had. We now have to come up with a price for ads, but it shouldn't be too much. Any extra money raised will go to the 8th grade graduation trip so it doesn't matter if we overcharge them for the books.
The girls got to sit in their groups and it made it so much more real to them. That got them really excited about everything. We told them that by next meeting they should have thought of ideas and brought in things to start working with so that we can actually do something at the meeting.
I hope we can see this through.
History lately has become a blast because I'm teaching about reconstruction and all the discrimination the Blacks faced. My class is so racist. They keep getting of topic to have heated discussions about whether they are better than the whole world.
Seventh grade's seat change it getting on my nerves. C.S.S. developed this huge attitude and she's a huge distraction. I'm just surprised at A.S. because I thought she was a better girl, and now she keeps schmoozing with C.S.S.
I had to call B.B.'s aunt to discuss a test I'm giving, and the funniest thing was that we were on a tour together in Israel last week. I'm so embarrassed because on the tour my husband and I decided to have some fun and he dared me to go around all day in one of those Israeli shmattahs the women wear to cover their hair. So B.B.'s aunt spent a day with me when I looked nuts.
Go blame it on the hubby.
I honestly think it's a crime to have to wake up early on rainy mornings like today. But it's an English Friday and I had to go to school.
I was supposed to be there early to meet with the principal, but due to the rain we came late.
It didn't matter because she wasn't ready anyway, and by the time she was, I had gotten my class started off davening to themselves with instructions to knock on the office door when the class was done.
The meeting wasn't half bad.
I'm actually kind of looking forward to doing independent reading with the classes and even literature groups don't sound as hard as they did in my old school. This principal was a lot less pressured.
She gave me some great books to read aloud to the class, and I dragged them all home so that I can read them over Shabbos.
I got her approval to begin a project with my 7th grade, and now that means a bunch of organizing work for me. Yay. As if with my niece's wedding my life isn't hectic enough.
I walked into 8th grade and realized that I had nothing to teach. I spent ages on maps with them, and we got way off topic discussion monograms and themed weddings. It was fun, but then I finished up the chapter in history because Monday they have gym and I don't think I'll have time to finish everything I want to then.
Seventh grade also got me off topic talking about teachers who don't know your names and about what high schools I went to and where they should go.
S.E. has an attitude about her, but its so cute. She doesn't mean to be snobby, but I think that's the way she was raised. From what I saw of her mother during orientation, I see where she gets it all from.
We also had to start discussing the literature story we had just finished, so that took till the end of the day.
Boy am I glad the week is over. I can sure use the break!

No comments: