Sunday, December 03, 2006

I Talk Too Much (part one)

Today was P.T.A.
The parents waited until 1pm to get into me. I was the last teacher to get out of the place. Boy, am I zonked!
So anyway, it was so revealing to meet the parents. I think I learned a lot about the girls based on what I saw today.
R.A.'s mother was a copy of R.A. herself. She was all defensive about R.A.'s attitude in class, and told me over and over that she liked that R.A. was so advanced. She didn't seem to care that it was affecting the kid socially; she kept saying that it wasn't her fault the class was so immature. I told her that I wanted to talk to her daughter anyway, about how she had to learn to keep her mouth shut sometimes. She didn't seem to think it was necessary and got all defensive about R.A. I told her it was ok to get defensive; that was her job. I see though where R.A. gets all her weirdness from...
D.A.'s mother and father were one of the last ones I saw today. They were soo cute! Her father kept offering to get me a drink, because he felt bad that I was sitting and talking for so long. LOL I can see where D.A. gets all her spunkiness from. They were a little concerned over the B+ that she had gotten in writing, but I explained to them that that was the mark she had gotten on her essay. Her father laughed and said, "Oh! Well we never saw that essay, and our daughter didn't seem to know where that mark was coming from...!" What a stinker that kid is!
H.B.'s mother is a redhead!!! I was so surprised because H.B, is so S'fardi looking! Her mother was so cute and sweet and it was fun talking to her. I told her how great H.B. was, and what a good heart she had. I said that I couldn't wait to meet Mrs. B. because I had to see who this kid's mother was. She was so excited!
M.B.'s mother was cute too. She was just worried about the element of the girls in the class and how her daughter had a hard time fitting in. I told her that her daughter was extremely talented and that I could never have imagined that she was the youngest in the class. She was a bit worried about the low ,ark she had gotten on geography, and hoped it would not affect her chances of getting into high school. I assured her that it was not a big deal.
E.M.B.'s mother didn't show up, and that was disappointing because I had what to tell her.
R.B's mother was just adorable! She was concerned about the girls in the class because R.B. wasn't finding anyone to "click" with in this crazy mix of kids. She said that R.B. looked forward to my classes every day because I was sooo normal. I had to laugh. I told her that I felt bad because I had to put a sub in the class soon, and I didn't know how she was going to manage. I joked that I was even thinking of not taking a full six weeks off, but rather being out just three or four weeks instead. She was livid. "Don't you dare take off any less than the full six weeks you're allotted! And get good rest and good gear, otherwise you'll just crash and have to be out again!" This mother was just too cute for me.
Both of F.E.’s parents came to meet me, and they seemed to be very surprised at all the nice things I had to say about her. I told them that I wanted her to participate more, but that she was doing very well anyway.
I was a little disappointed that S.E.’s mother didn’t come. I was so looking forward to meeting the mother of that kid!
S.G.’s mother was so special. She didn’t cover her hair, but knowing she was a ba’alas teshuva, I wasn’t shocked. I spoke to her about how well S.G. was doing, and how much I liked her and admired her. Mrs. G. began to cry, and get all emotional. She explained that she was a single mom, and hearing this meant so much to her. We agreed that I would send home my notes with her so that her mother could study with her better. I was more than impressed with this mother. I told her that I knew she had to be a special lady, because she was raising a very special daughter. That set her crying again…
Both S.N.K.’s father and mother came to PTA. Her father seemed more into the situation, as he tool notes while the mother rushed him to get out of there because there were others waiting to come in. He kept trying to ask me a million things, but I gave him my number and told him to call with any questions. I’m more than sure I’ll be getting a call one of these days…
C.K.’s mother was a little interesting. She wore a snood to the PTA, and I heard from the principal that she wasn’t always so involved in her daughter’s life. I could see that, but she did seem concerned about the friendship she had with C.S.S. I made sure to tell her that her daughter did very well when she was not together with C.S.S. and I hope that’ll help with the cooling off of this friendship. We have got to break up this C.S.S. power circle.
E.L.’s mother was so sweet, and all she kept telling me was how much E.L. loved my classes. She spoke to me about R.A. and how she was annoying E.L. I told her that I would try and do something about it, but as you read, my talk with R.A.s mother didn’t go too well. I told her that she had a lot to be proud of, as E.L. was a really fine girl, and I could tell she was pleased.
N.N.’s father was the last parent I met today, and he didn’t seem to be too concerned about her lack of friends in the class. I didn’t feel like pushing it today, but I told him that she was a unique individual who was doing very well academically.
A.S.’s mother didn’t show up, and that’s ok, she’s a good kid. I’ll probably call her anyway sometime this week for a nachas call.
I was chocked at how sick C.S.S.’s father looked. I knew he was on dialysis, but it was still a shock to see him in person. We spoke about her attitude for a while, and then her father totally threw me by asking if we had ever considered suspending his daughter to teach her a lesson. I was honest with him, and told him that it was a consideration, but that I wanted to talk to her and warn her first. He seemed ok with that, but was pretty much begging me to suspend her.
S.S.’s mother was very nice, and pretty much we discussed her schoolwork, and how I could help her more.
That was the seventh grade mothers, now for the eighth grade…

No comments: